Sunday, June 24, 2007

Things That Drive Me Crazy


One of the things that drive me crazy is stupid commercials. One particular commercial is for a laxative of which the narrator on the promo says that it works over night, while you’re sleeping? No, no, no, no, no, when that stuff kicks in I want to be awake…and ready to rumble, no surprises while in a deep slumber, thank you very much.

Another thing that drives me crazy is questions that I have no answers to, questions like, can a woman’s basketball team play man-to-man defense? Why do we park in a driveway and drive in a parkway? Can a person who holds both a medical and a law degree sue himself for malpractice?

Stupid crooks also irritate me. I mean, how dumb does one have to be to rob a Dollar Store? Believe it or not this has actually happened here a couple of times. Note to stupid crooks: IT’S A DOLLAR STORE! It’s not Fort Knox you morons. Just how much money did you think was going to be in there anyway?

Moving right along, like many citizens, government stupidity and waste also drives me nuts. Case-in-point, the other day I learned that in the not too distant past the United States Air Force had been working on a gay sex bomb. No, you didn’t misread that. Our Air Force tried to build a bomb containing “stuff” (exactly what the “stuff” is I haven’t a clue) in it that would turn enemy soldiers into gay lovers. What, like you drop a few of these suckers on enemy troops and of a sudden they throw down their weapons and “make love not war” with each other? It’s nice to see our taxes at work, isn’t it? Hey, here’s a news flash for the Air Force, even if you could somehow create such a weapon, no matter what people’s sexual preferences are it doesn’t prevent them from taking up arms and shooting at people who are trying to kill them! It’s called instinct of survival.

While we’re on the subject of stupidity and waste in the military, this one just slays me, a while back it was reported that the military, which has being criticized for its fighting tactics in Iraq, had printed and distributed to our soldiers a pamphlet on how to engage the enemy in an ethical and humane way. Humane and ethical ways to engage the enemy, are you kidding me? We’re talking about shooting and bombing people, snuffing out their lives! I didn’t know there was a humane and ethical way to do that.

Hmmmmm, maybe we should distribute this pamphlet among criminals in hopes they’ll “engage” their victims in an ethical and humane way, or even better, we can put the ingredients of the Gay Sex Bomb into a pocket canister so when accosted by someone we can spray them with it . . . it’s just a thought.

One last thing that drives me crazy is the little “look-on-the-bright-side-of-life” sayings people tell me when I’m out of sorts. Like when experiencing a major change in life, inevitably, in the middle of fussing over that change, someone will regurgitate the age-old adage, “Change is good.” I agree, especially when things change BACK to the way I liked them in the first place!

Or when I’m moaning and groaning about something I don’t have and someone recites the old proverb, “I complained because I had no shoes until I saw a man with no feet.” Yeah, well, I then complained because the man with no feet got the better parking spots!

So there you have it, just a few of the things in life that drive me crazy, and though for me that drive is a short one, aren’t you glad you came along for the ride?

14 comments:

Rachel said...

That's some pretty crazy things! Is our military really that goofy??

Well, my mouth is shut because I'm one of those "look at the bright side" people!! Ahem.....that being said, I'm glad that you bounced back. Some of us are waiting for those hospital gown pictures!!

JulesinParadise said...

I am so glad you are back and doing better. You were missed!

Peter said...

Hi Doug, good to see you back on deck and in fine form as usual.

Valerie said...

welcome back from the hospital! so glad you're doing better and hope to see you up & about quick!!

Renae said...

Hi Doug. So glad to see you are back and in good spirits. The military sounds a little funky.
Robbing a dollar store...?...k, that sounds like a gold mine.lol!!
Take care and have yourself a wonderful week.

Renae

doodlebugmom said...

Glad you are back and feeling better. Speaking of stupid commercials...a few days a month I want to strangle the guy who cam up with "have a happy period"

yeah, right!

:o)

JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Doug,

So happy to see you back!


Well, what really bugs me are those commericals that advertize on TV-(different things but all the same pitch) If you call within the next 10 minutes you get 3 for just 19.95- a $70.00 value! Are we to believe they are willing to lose $50.00 on each order??

Junie

Anonymous said...

Hey Doug, glad to see your sense of humor is in place! I agree with you, I despise commercials. You have to love the ones for sleep deprivation that say, and I quote, "May cause drowsiness"...isn't that what we're hoping for if we take something to knock us out. Or, what about the drugs whose side effects are worse than that actual problem in the first place ... I'm just sayin'!

Jacquie

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Well, yes, Doug, I am very glad I came along! I so agree with you on just about all those things! And that last one...it drives me nuts, too, when people say stuff like..'well, it could be a lot worse'...Or 'think about the alternative'....Well, sometimes that alternative looks mighty good to me! LOL!
Thanks for the visit Doug and you are so right, Rachel is a sweetie!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

You are sooo welcome Doug...And I'm glad you are feeling so much better.
How scary to have to be in a hospital---(My worst nightmare, with my compromised lungs..)
I'm so happy for you that you are home and feeling better....!
And thanks for my Birthday wishes!

L said...

Welcome Back Doug. You were missed!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

I've jst written a bit of a rant myself and had a chuckle at yours. Government stupidity frequently exasperates me, but should we really be that surprised?!

Valerie said...

i like being on the bus to Loonyville...especially with such fun travelmates!!

so glad you're back and hope you're doing better every day.

cmk said...

Glad you are back and, hopefully, doing well! A good read, as always.