Sunday, June 10, 2007

On Becoming a Grandparent--Part 2


As mentioned in an earlier post, I recently learned that come December I'm going to be a grandfather for the first time. After the initial shock wore off I remember thinking, “Whoa, me a grandfather? Somebody pull the cord and stop the bus!”

I mean, just how did I get to this point in my life so quickly? It was only yesterday that I was filled with excitement and anticipation of the birth of my first child. Now, here I am filled with excitement and anticipation of the birth of my first grandchild. What happened? Did I, like Rip Van Winkle, take a nap only to wake years later to a whole new world, or, did I get caught in some kind of time warp, where I was thrust into the future? It was a little unsettling to say the least.

Then a different, even more frightening thought crossed my mind (and we all know how short of a crossing that is), what if my first grandchild is a girl?! That thought almost put me into cardiac arrest.

You see, I grew up in a family of mischievous, rowdy boys, four to be exact--even our dog was male (poor mom was an island of estrogen in a sea of testosterone)--and I have three sons, no daughters. I know boys. I know how they operate, their thought processes, how their prone to act and react to what life throws at them. A granddaughter will, well, intimidate me.

Can I, a man who knows nothing about raising girls, adapt to having a granddaughter? Will I play too rough with her, tease her too harshly, joke too crudely, be too enthusiastic about sports, shaping her into a tomboy?

Or maybe I’ll act toward her much too far in the opposite direction, pampering her too much, treating her like a prim-a-Donna, cushioning her from the harsh realities of the world; thus giving her unrealistic expectations of life.

And then of course there’s the future issue of dating. But this one I have figured out. Let’s just say I’ve already informed eldest son and daughter-in-law that when granddaughter is dating age I’ll be moving next door to them and will be camped on their front porch steps, waiting for granddaughter’s dates to pick her up and bring her home.

Oh I pity the poor boy that’ll have to go through grandpa to get to granddaughter. I’ve even borrowed a great couple of lines from comic Bill Engvall to say to the unfortunate young man as he approaches my “roost.” I’ll look him square in the eyes and tell him, “that little girl in there that you’re about to take out, she’s my granddaughter, my pride and joy. I will stop at nothing to protect her, so if you have any intentions of hugging her or kissing her I have no problem going back to prison. Now, where are you taking my granddaughter and what time will you have her home?” Did I mention that while carrying on this conversation with the young man I’ll just happen to be cleaning my shotgun?

Heck, now that I think about it, I’ll sneakily attach a GPS system to the boy’s car so I can monitor his every move from my computer. If his car deviates from where it's supposed to be, they’ll be getting a call.

So, as you can see, though I don’t as yet have all the answers to my many questions about raising granddaughters, I do have the important ones answered, the ones that deal with issues of the opposite sex, and that’s good enough for now. After all, I have six months to figure out the rest of it and that’s plenty of time, right?

13 comments:

L said...

LOL Doug. Use any method necessary to keep her safe! Tall tales work well!
I just had a flashback to my own teen dating years. The prospective boyfriends had to pass through inspection by mom and dad (always nerve wrecking)and the older brothers (nearly impossible). But the worst was an elderly uncle who once told a guy he thought had "shifty eyes" that if he disrespected me in any way, he would hunt him down and practice some of the horrific techniques that he had experienced as a POW.

It kept the boyfriend on the straight and narrow, so I figured why tell the guy that Old Uncle Lyle had never made it out of the country during the war years, let alone to a POW camp!

Valerie said...

don't forget the brass chonies. did you ever see Mel Brooks' "Robin Hood: Men in Tights?" there's a great scene with Maid Marion getting out of a tub, wearing brass chonies...made by Everlast.

BS said...

Granddaughters are truly a blessing. You will melt once you see her and hold her the first time. (I have 2) You commented on my Kitchen Blog entry so had to come check you out. It is a breath of fresh air to read a man's point of view on things. I'll be back for sure.

Anonymous said...

Of course you'll know what to do. You'll spoil her, love her and do anything she wants you to do and you'll do it naturally and with more love in your heart than you thought possible.

As for dating, well, we won't go there. The things my dad did ... WOW! lol

Jacquie

Rachel said...

LOL!! Sounds like you have it pretty well thought out Doug! Whether a girl or a boy you will be thrilled. If it's a girl you will no doubt spoil her waaayyyyy too much, but it'll be okay!

Time does fly doesn't it??

Doug Bagley said...

ELLE: glad you agree with my attitude about her dating. Loved your Uncle story, lol.
VALERIE: I did see that movie but the only thing I remember from it is the new circumsizer having an opening special...half off! LOL
THE REST OF YOU:Thanks for your words of encouragement, lol. I'm sure y'all are right.

JunieRose2005 said...

LOL-

That picture will keep the boyfriends in line, for sure!!

Junie

Ralph said...

Doug
If your grandchild is a girl I am sure you will handle it just fine. How can you go with the line, "I have no problem going back to prison"?
Ralph

Doug Bagley said...

Trying to get my pic to carry over onto my comments. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

JunieRose2005 said...

I don't know how to do that! I had to get my granddaughter to do mine!


Junie

L said...

Lets see if this teacher can actually teach.....

If you are talking about that lovely but scary (is that possible?) piratey pic....or any other for that matter.... whatever picture you have posted in your profile section can be carried over into the comments box by
1) clicking on the SETTINGS tab

2) then the COMMENTS tab

3) scrolling part way down the page until you get to the section that says "show profile image on" and clicking YES!!!!!!!!!!

Hope thats what you meant and that it works for you!

Mike & Sarahlyn said...

If we do end up having a girl, as long as you don't turn her into a "les-bo" we're cool! I was actually thinking about that the other day with as much as you and I are into sports, how that would effect a daughter. Guess we may find out in a couple weeks if we even have to worry about that. We may find out then we're having a boy......to be continued. I definitely post the news as soon as we find out.

Renae said...

Well, sounds like you have thought of everything, lol ! You will make a fine grandpa I'm sure.
Have a wonderful blessed Happy Fathers day.

Renae