Sunday, November 26, 2006

Mother Nature's Sense of Humor


Over the years, it has come to my attention that Mother Nature has a sense of, a wicked sense of humor, and one of her favorite targets for a joke is the human body, especially body hair.

Young men, especially teenagers, look upon body hair as a sign of their manhood--the hairier one is the more machismo one has. But does Ma Nature care about the fragile psyche of the male teen? Only to the degree of what kind of jokes she can play on him.

For instance, while attending Jr. High School (7th-9th grades), I knew guys who could grow full beards--the rest of us were seniors in high school before we could grow a mustache and even then it was “baseball” mustache, 9 on each side.

Those guys not only had a thick head of hair, but they also had enough chest hair to make a woman’s wig. Shoot, by the time I had any chest hair I was crowding age 40, fighting my own personal Battle of the Bulge, was a veteran of 17 years of marriage, and had 3 sons. What the heck good did it do me then? But I diverge.

Anyway, the girls flocked to those guys as if they were Chip and Dale dancers. So what cruel little joke did Mom Nature play on them? Well, by the time these guys were seniors in high school, when the rest of us male students (and a few of the girls) could barely sprout the pitiful beginnings of a mustache, the hairy apes of our school were going bald, and it shook their manhood to the core.

It was a pathetic sight to walk into the men’s lavatory at my high school and see guys, who once were the epitome of manhood, sobbing as they looked in the mirror at their rapidly thinning hair.

While we’re on the subject of body hair, when I was a cocky, know-it-all teen, I used to laugh at men with nose hair. I thought they belonged in the freak tent of a carnival between the bearded woman and the snake man.

Well, Mother Nature played another cruel trick on me. That’s right, you’ve guessed it. I now trim my nose hairs every three or four days (it beats braiding them) so cocky, know-it-all teenagers don’t laugh at me, thinking I belong in the freak tent of carnival.

Oh, and let’s not forget the eyebrows. Call it karma, Mother Nature’s wicked sense of humor, what ever you want, but I’m now paying for all those years I made rude comments about old men’s bushy eyebrows. You know the comments: “Man, are there any birds nesting in those brows?” or “Hey, have you seen my dog? Last week he chased a squirrel into your eyebrows and I haven’t seen him since!”

Well, not only am I trimming the length of my eyebrows so as not to look like sheep dog, but every three to four days I have to shave my UNIBROW! Oh how we pay for our past misdeeds.

Mother Nature demonstrates her sick sense of humor in other ways as well. I used to be under the false impression that when one reaches adulthood one quits growing, WRONG! Only parts of the human body quit growing. Some never quit growing until the day we die.

You see, I’ve come to believe that our feet continue to grow even after we’ve reached adulthood—either that or shoe manufacturers have changed the sizing of shoes. I swear, in two years my feet have grown two shoe sizes. I’m not complaining mind you. This has allowed me to catch up to the size of my oldest son’s feet. I just wonder what size of shoe I’ll be wearing when I die, will my feet reach size 30? Heck, why stop there? Why not a size 50? At least it would insure me a place in the freak tent at the carnival (I really have a fear of freak tents, don’t I?) or a spot in a Ripley’s Believe It Or Not building.

And speaking of body parts that keep growing, it wasn’t that long ago that I was a thin as a blade of grass. I’m talking a 28 inch waist at age 32. I could eat as much of anything my little heart desired and I would never put on weight. But now, though Momma Nature has seen fit to curve my body’s ability to burn calories and fat, she hasn’t seen fit to curve my appetite. Now, I ask you is that cruel or what?

Yes, Mother Nature has a warped sense of humor, and if I haven’t convinced you of that yet just wait, because another part of the body that continues to grow until you die is your ears. The older you get the bigger they’ll be, better get used to the nickname Dumbo.

16 comments:

Peter said...

The fact that SHE is Mother Nature is reason enough and probably explanation enough.

cmk said...

Well, SHE is just as nasty to us women! She allows gravity to move EVERY part of women's bodies south! Just one more time I would like to see various parts of my body without having to lift something else out of the way that has fallen in recent years. Oh to have the body I had in high school--when I THOUGHT I was overweight and flabby. :)

Anonymous said...

I think what might happen with most men is...the hair on top of their heads doesn't care for all that light out there, so it reverses directions and starts growing inwardly. That causes it to pop out of every other orifice in his head and other areas that aren't already covered by beard.

Trudging said...

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!

Rachel said...

I have to agree with cmk!! Things sure sag to the south the older you get. But I am real grateful that I don't have a bald head or have to trim nose or ear hair!!

I think we can all feel your pain in one way or the other Doug!! :)

Rachel said...

Oh, if your feet keep growing like you say then your coffin will have to have shoe slots cut in it for your feet to stick out of, and maybe slots for your ears too!

Susie said...

Hi Doug,
Just stopping in to say hi and thanks for visiting me. Very humorous post!
:)

PinkCat said...

Oh my that was a very funny post and made me snicker.

When I met Scragend he was 18 and at 19 I realised he had no body hair. LOL But as the years have gone on he has gained some. I must say he still has all his hair although it is going quite gray. I don't mind the gray though.

Bloody brilliant post. You never disappoint.

Take care xx

JulesinParadise said...

And wait til you approach the grand ol' age of 60! Ack!

Another laugh to start my week...thanks, Doug!

Renae said...

What a humerous and somewhat educational post..LOL!!! I laughed, I needed to after the backwards day I had today. Have a good one.

Cheers for now,
Renae

Leish said...

lol. Funny post! Found you through Renae, as you left comment there.

Mountain Mama said...

I have a vivid imagination and from the odd things some kids do these days, it isn't difficult to visualize braided nose hair!
Because strange fads catch on so well it wouldn't surprise me if they even had hair transplants in thoier nose just so they could braid it!
I have seen a boy with a nose ring and a head cold. It was not pretty. Can you imagine braided nose hair and a head cold.
Lord have mercy!!
About body parts growing, I read that our ears and nose continue to grow throughout our life. That's scary!!

JunieRose2005 said...

Well, Mother Nature FOOLS with us in different ways...
For me she has decided to take a few inches off my height- and add it to my waistline! ;(

ahhhh-I hate that!

I always hoped to be Tall and Thin...NOW I fear I'll never make it!

Junie

Melanie J Watts said...

Gettig old sucks in lots of ways except, you stop caring so much what others think of you.

LZ Blogger said...

Doug ~ I remember seeing many of those guys even at my 5 year H.S. and they were already bald and in terrible shape. Well... even at my age, I haven't lost my hair, but is has gone from black to grey. But some of it has sprouted up in places that hair should NEVER grow. I had a mustache (and or) beard from the time I was 20 until I turned 40. On my 40th birthday, I thought the lack of facial hair would make me look younger, so I shaved it all off (and it did). But alas... I am to the age where it really doesn't matter one way or another any more! ~ jb///

Courtney O. said...

Amen, CMK :)