Sunday, November 05, 2006

Bumper Stickers and Personalized Plates

Bumper stickers and personalized license plates (or tags as we call them out here) are fun to read. You can also learn lot about people by what their bumper stickers and personalized tags say.

I once saw a personalized tag that read, Pray4U. The first thought that came to my mind was, is this a warning about the guy’s driving ability? I mean, is he such a lousy driver that even he prays for the safety of others? Let me give you a free piece of advice. If you see a car with Pray4U on its tag, GET OUT OF THE WAY!

And speaking of religious statements on vehicles, I also saw a tag that read, I Pray. Isn’t that nice? I just hope the driver of that car doesn’t close his eyes while praying and driving at the same time. Although from the erratic way he was driving I suspect that's exactly what he was doing.

Then there’s the tag on a truck that simply says, Booger. Do you suppose the idea for that came from a bad habit the driver never broke? I know, I shouldn’t pick on the guy, so let’s move on.

Reading bumper stickers can also provide much amusement. There’s the bumper sticker that reads, Honk If You Love Jesus. Someone honked. The honkee gave the honker the one-finger Florida Howdy, or as we lovingly refer to it, the state bird. And isn’t that how it usually goes? Those who displayed their religion on their cars are usually the rudest people on the road.

Another bumper sticker I saw on a car read, Our Other Car Is A Rolls Royce. Liars, liars, liars, the car was beat up, its bumpers were tied on, the hood was secured with bailing wire, and it didn’t even have a roof. If you believe their other car is a Rolls Royce I have some swamp land here in Florida I’ll sell you.

A while back, I saw a sticker on the bumper of a truck that read, Men Are Idiots And I Married Their King. Now there’s a marriage that’s going to last, isn’t it? I’m surprised there wasn’t a procession of divorce attorneys following her around.

Some of my all time least favorite stickers are the ones that brag about a person’s family members. Ask Me About My Grandkids is one of the worst in my book. Get a clue people, it’s the same with your kids (grandkids) as it is with your dogs—nobody thinks they’re as cute and wonderful as you do, so quit shoving them down our throats!

I saw a bumper sticker made just for this type of grandparent: I Don’t Give A D### About Your Grandkids!

There is one bumper sticker concerning one’s kids that I wouldn’t mind having, wished I’d thought of it myself: I Never Really Learned To Swear ‘til I Had Kids.

So there you have it, my thoughts on personalized tags and bumper stickers. No doubt they can be fun to read and they usually reveal a thing or two about the driver’s personality. I guess that’s why I’ve yet to put the bumper sticker on my car that my sons gave me for Father’s Day--Momma Didn't Raise No Fool . . . Just An Idiot.

10 comments:

Peter said...

I don't think I'd be putting that tag on my car either Doug.

Valerie said...

my favorite bumper sticker still is "If i had a life, i wouldn't need a bumper sticker."
'nuff said, then!

JunieRose2005 said...

Doug,

I can think of only one thing that tells more about a person than does his/her car tags and that's his/her TATTOOS! ;)


Junie

Rachel said...

The one your sons gave you made me LOL!! Never saw that one before!! I don't have any bumper stickers or a personal plate. I saw a Prius plate that had OPEC WHO on it back when the gas prices were soaring.

Another BS I saw said, "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

Then there is the one that says "sex and alka seltzer cures everything."

Good post Doug!

Anonymous said...

About the "Honk if you Love Jesus" sticker..

Considering the...umm...state of the nation, I'm wondering if the honkee is a non-Christian using the bumper sticker as flypaper, so to speak.

What a crazy, mixed-up world!

--
Posted by Deb to AS I SEE IT...And That's All That Really Matters, Isn't It? at 11/05/2006 10:10:17 PM

Melanie J Watts said...

My Inlaws had bumber sticker which read, " Welcome to BC now go home" My son had just learned to read and was reading everything in sight. I don't like your bumper sticker He told his Grandpa It's too nasty. Why do you have it?

Trudging said...

I really did LOL at your post this morning. I love bumper stickers too. I love the Men are idiots one.

Anonymous said...

I love reading other people's bumper stickers, but don't want to give them a clue who I am or what I believe. No bumper stickers on my car.

Cas

cmk said...

No bumper stickers on my Jimmy--just a 'vanity plate' which I got as a birthday gift a few years ago. I get SOOOOO frustrated when I can't figure out someone's 'vanity plate'--there should be a bumper sticker right next to the plate with a translation so that I can sleep at night!

Penny said...

The one I grit my teeth at, is, "I might be slow but I'm ahead of you." Not for long, pokey.