Sunday, January 29, 2006

Would That We All Had a Ltttle Bit of Sergeant Kirkland in Us

Sadly, as I observe the daily news, it seems compassion, humanity, and love are moving further and further from the hearts of many in the world. When I find my own feelings hardening toward my fellowman I try to remember the actions of one Sergeant Richard Kirkland during the American Civil War.

It was December of 1862. On a hill named Marye's Heights, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, 6,000 Rebel soldiers under the command of General Robert E. Lee awaited the advancement of Union troops which numbered over 40,000. Lee placed the frontline of his Southern troops securely behind a stone wall at the front of the hill. Behind this frontline of defense, Lee placed the rest of his troops, four deep, on a sunken road.

As the Union troops approached the hill, they were mowed down with a barrage of musket fire. Wave after wave of Union men attempted to overrun the hill only to be slaughtered by enemy fire. By the evening of Saturday, Dec. 13, over 12,000 Union men lay on the ground in front of Marye's Heights. Cries for help as the bitter-cold night wore on could be heard from the wounded Union soldiers laying on the battle field. Many died from exposure and their wounds during the long night.

As Sunday morning dawned, the wounded continued to call out for help. Sergeant Kirkland, a 19-year-old Rebel soldier from South Carolina, approached his commanding officer with an unusual request, "All night and all day I have heard those poor people crying for water, and I can stand it no longer. I... ask permission to go and give them water." Permission was denied. It was deemed too dangerous. Finally, as young Kirkland continued to press, his commanding officer gave in. With several canteens of water strapped around him, Kirkland climbed over the wall of defense, and as astonished men from both sides watched, he approached the nearest wounded Union soldier. After giving him water, Kirkland gave the man his own overcoat. The sergeant then proceeded to assist the other wounded men as renewed cries for water erupted over the entire battle field. As the Union soldiers overcame their astonishment and realized what the Rebel soldier was up to, they let out a cheer.

Sadly, Sergeant Richard Kirkland was killed later during the battle of Chicamauga. As his buddies gathered around him, Kirkland's dying words were, "Save yourselves and tell my Pa I died right."

In world where it appears that people's hearts are becoming increasingly void of natural affection toward each other heroic deeds such as Sergeant Kirkland performed would be a welcomed sight. Yet, often heroic deeds aren't needed to spread a little light in the world. Sometimes all it takes is a friendly wave, a warm smile or "hello." My hope is that each day we will pause and think about that.

11 comments:

me said...

Thanks Doug. I needed that. And this historian enjoyed the "history lesson" too!

Valerie said...

Amen that.

Ivy the Goober said...

Well said! :)

Unknown said...

Great post and wonderful message.

Anonymous said...

Hello :)

cantellya said...

His last words gave me chills. You are so very right. I'll admit that I struggle with that every day, and I'm trying to "pretend" that every one I come in contact with is my "best friend," in hopes of treating him/her right....

Courtney O. said...

Wow - that was an amazing story. And probably a much needed one this week...

4evergapeach said...

great story! Thanks for such a thought provoking post. Gives us all something to think about. :)

Christa said...

Nice story, and you're right, we could use a bit more humanity in this world. Would change a lot of things for the future.

Thanks for your note btw. Great blog you've got here :) Stop by at mine and say hello too :D

JulesinParadise said...

Your commentary is a wake up call for kindness and caring. Thanks!

SonSon said...

Some time ago as I was checking out at Walmart, the cashier asked if I would like my soda left out. "Yes, please" I responded while digging in my purse for my checkbook. She got my attetion though when I realized she'd stopped mid action of scanning my soda. She was looking at me with a look akin to shock. "In all the years I've worked here, no one has EVER said please to me". Can you believe that?

Simple kindness does seem to be more and more difficult to come by.