Sunday, January 08, 2006

I Prefer to Call it Auto Fatigue

Helping youngest son search for a car to purchase has taken me back a number of years when I discovered why people finance their new cars on a five-year loan--it takes that long to recover from the battle fatigue, or as I call it auto fatigue.

It was in March of 1991. I was in the market for a truck but couldn't find what I wanted locally. I called an out-of-town dealership (about 40 miles away) and explicitly told the salesman what I had in mind, the monthly payments I could afford, and how much money I could scrape up for a down payment.

"Oh yeah," the man assured me, "we've got a truck here that just fits the bill. Its price is right in the ballpark, and it's even the color you prefer. Come on down and we'll work out a swee-eet deal!" (I've since learned that at sales school the instructors make the students repeat those expressions convincingly 100 times each morning or they get thumb screws clamped on until they do.)

I called ex-wife at her work with the urgency of a man pleading for his life to let her know she needed to get home as soon as possible so we could get to the dealership and buy our new truck before they closed.

As we rushed through the main doors of the dealership, a plump, balding middle-aged man, rubbing his sweaty palms together and smacking his lips, was eagerly awaiting our arrival.

"How do?" he welcomed us as he extended a hand.

"Nice to meet you, " I responded. "Say those are a couple of nasty looking thumbs you've got that there."

Well, the salesman I chatted with on the phone was right. The truck he had waiting for us was exactly what we were looking for. . .and a little more.

The truck handled beautifully. But something curious happened between the time we took it for a test drive and returned to the dealership; the price of the truck shot up $2,000.00! I didn't know inflation worked that fast.

Luring us into the interrogation room with the aroma of freshly baked doughnuts and hot chocolate, the salesman and a cohort locked the door behind them. When we refused to accept their inflated price of the truck, they began the process of trying to break the iron will of their prey.

They started with the "dark room and the bright light in the captives' eyes" routine. Ha! Who did they think they were dealing with anyway?

When that failed, they tried the "nice cop-mean cop" act. We didn't succumb to that either.

Next, came the gig of holding the customers' children hostage. Five minutes of that and they were trying to pay us to take them back.

As a last resort, the two salesmen used reverse psychology. Trying to make us think we'd broken their spirits, they asked, "What would it take to send you home in that new truck?"

"Sell it to us at the price you originally quoted us," was our response. Boy, did that fall on deaf ears.

When we'd finally had enough, I said the one thing all car salesmen dread. I mean, it's like having a stake driven through their hearts. They'd rather be boiled alive in hot oil, for they know it's the death nail of a sale to hear, "Well, we'll have to go home and recheck our budget to see if we can possibly squeeze out the higher payments."

As it turned out, after three hours of intense interrogation, we finally convinced our captors they'd have an easier time breaking down Mount Everest with a sledge hammer than getting us to sign on the dotted line without first going over our finances again.

For a long while after this experience I suffered from battle fatigue. Every time a salesman came near me I'd get an erratic heartbeat, I'd begin to stammer when speaking, and I'd foam at the mouth.

After years of intense therapy, though, I made a full recovery. So, while on this quest with youngest son to find a vehicle for him, when the flashbacks and symptoms of post traumatic syndrome rear their ugly heads, I only hope he'll visit me regularly after I'm put in one of those funny jackets and hauled away by the nice men dressed in white.

16 comments:

JulesinParadise said...

We drive our cars til they drop for just this very reason...lol. Great description of the "interrogation room". When I was single, I got smart and took a used car sales man friend of mine with me to negotiate the deal...they didn't have a prayer!

madameplushbottom said...

This reminds me of my most recent experience at the aforementioned dangerous place. One Sunday afternoon in September my friend Suz and I returned from a day of shopping and hanging out only to find that her car had been in a freak four car accident while it was parked in front of my condo. Her car was totalled in the process and towed to the graveyard of cars by the police department.

The next day we began shopping for a new car for her and one of the places we went to was exactly as you described. The leech that latched onto us had popcorn in his teeth, on his shirt, and even on the inside of his ear, wonder what else he was doing with his fingers while he ate...

Anyway... he says to Suz, what's your favorite color? I want to ensure we can get your new car in your favorite color to help deal with the trauma you experienced. Trauma??? WTF... I mean it wasn't pleasant to return and find her car gone but it's not like she was in the damn car when it was totalled. And second of all... why do used car salesMEN assume the only thing a chick knows about is the color of the car?

Best of luck to ya Doug!

Anonymous said...

Get him a truck Doug. Guys always look good in trucks and basically its to pick up chicks anyway.

If you think you get screwed at a dealership, try being a single woman and going. I can see dollar signs in their eyes!

Good luck! :)

me said...

Now I remember why I took my older brother when I went car shopping following my divorce. "The brother" has almost 50 years of not taking any nonsense from people ( I know because he was great at getting me to eat my veggies and making sure I went to bed on time when he babysat me) AND he is a mechanic.
I TRULY got a "sweet deal" because no car salesmen was gonna pull a fast one on my big bro.....lol.

Another great post Doug :)

Valerie said...

can't youngest son just get a bike? less stress for dear ol' dad.
good exercise.
MUCH lower payments.
did i already mention the stress factor?

Suzy said...

I have some bad memories of car salesmen also, and so does my son (from coming with us over the years to buy cars). We were often made feel that the car we were trying to trade in (after we had usually spent hours cleaning and polishing for the sale), was an old piece of "Sh*&" that wasn't worth a dollar.

He is now a NEW car salesman, after being promoted from used cars. He is honest and caring and thoughtful (and handsome, not that I am biased) and is really struggling with the pre-conceived image that most buyers have of car salesmen. The problem is, he is only one person and can not change the public image of car salesman on his own. He is still trying to though!

Greta Björg said...

Car salesmen are the same all over the world, I think -

- Thank god my Old Ollie (Opel Astra station 1995 made in Germany) is still performing very well, with some minimum tender care from a garage now and then.

Even though the sale went very smoothly 5 years ago when I bought him, - I even got him for a special bargain price, - I hope he will be going strong for a long time still to come, as I´ve grown so fond of this car and regard him as a dear friend of mine. :o)

Mama Duck said...

Amen. I swear to God that car salesmen somehow had a leg up on the amoebas and were able to creep out of the pond scum of which they were both inhabitants.

I'm sure I've just now offeneded someone, but deep in their heart (if they truly had one) they know I'm right.

Jamie Dawn said...

Buying a new car shouldn't be worse than going to the gynecologist... but it IS!!!!
Funny post!

4evergapeach said...

Myhusband my have his faults, but he has to be THE best negotiator that I have ever seen. You would have walked out of there paying LESS than the original quoted price! I would bet my life on it.

A friend just flew up here (Detroit) from Florida to purchase a car for his daughter for her 15th birthday. Yes, you read that right - 15th. And the car? A 2005 Thunderbird. Hardtop convertible with all the extra's. I do have to admit though that he got an absolutely AWSOME deal! I wonder if he would adopt me?

Courtney O. said...

I've learned to take my mom with me when I go car hunting - she's a shark in disguise :) Those salesmen never know what hit 'em...
I should start a borrow-my-mom-to-buy-your-car loan program!!!

Doug Bagley said...

Jamie Dawn, I'll have to take your word on that one.

Momma Duck, you're too funny. I'm sure there must be some honest, caring car salesmen out there.

Peach, they can adopt me too!

Courtney, that's not a bad idea.

Debbie, I've never tried being a chick, single or otherwise, LOL. But I get your point.
Lis, I can identify with big brother. Over the years, I've become all shisters worse nightmare.

I tried Valery to get him to go bicycling with me years ago. Eh, couldn't get him enthused.

To the rest of y'all, thanks for your comments. They were great!

Kip said...

You need to come spend some time with my ex! He LOVES the challenge of those salesmen and can outlast them every time. I bought a new car last year and he did write down the price they quoted on the phone. When we went in they tried to do the same thing with us as they did you but he stuck to the quoted price and darn if we didn't get it in the end. It's all too much for me...I'm a total looser when it comes to that so it was a good thing he was with me.

Jules told me about your blog so I came on over to visit!

kip

Doug Bagley said...

LOL, Kip, I got what you meant. Thanks for stopping by. Hope to hear from ya again.

Anonymous said...

It's Monday, where's my story?

Next time, plan ahead... hehehe

Unknown said...

I was recently in an accident, and insurance people are about as helpful as car salesmen!