Monday, April 24, 2006

Sadomasochism? Naw, It's Just Fishing Season

The warm weather is upon us. The sky seems bluer, and the sun is out longer. Trees are in bloom, and birds, high in their nests sing their sweet melodies, beckoning us to come out and play. For many, these signal the coming of fishing season!

Some of us don't understand people who can't see the joy of fishing. There's nothing in this world that can be compared to drawing blood from a finger pricked with a fish hook (I've done this many a time and found that the best part of pricking one's finger with a fish hook is when the pain subsides and the blood stops oozing). And what's better than the feel of a nice, long wiggly night crawler between your fingers as you thread onto a hook?

Stream fishing for trout, that's the best. Getting up long before the sun opens its eyes, stumbling into your clothes with one eye shut--the other half open--and stuffing your mouth full of something grabbed blindly from the fridge (realizing too late what you grabbed was fish bait) , is fun beyond description.

There's no choice about getting up before dawn either; that's when the fish are biting. The middle of the day is no good--fish don't eat lunch. But what the heck, it's pure delight romping through the woods, stumbling over logs and boulders in the dark. Don't worry about getting poked in the eye by an unseen branch--you were born with a spare.

If the twelve cups of hot black coffee you've had for breakfast haven't awakened you by the time you step into that ice-cold stream, the leak in your trusty old hip boots will.

There's no need to worry about the necessities of life out in the wild. Everything you need is within reach. Need to wash your hands? Just dip them in the stream and dry them with the surrounding foliage. Stinging nettle is a great paper substitute, especially if Mother Nature pays you a visit. It's sure to put a little bounce in your step (by the way, I really don't recommend stinging nettle for wiping your derriere. Trust me; it's not a pleasant experience)
.
If the fish aren't biting and you need a little diversion, just forget about those branches overhead and go for a nice, high, long cast--then you can spend the next two hours untangling your line from the trees.

It's never lonely fishing a stream. There are animals to keep you company. Speaking from personal experience, being chased by a bull moose is more thrilling than a day at Disney World. It also provides a great excuse as to why you've returned to camp empty-handed.

What a rush you get when you hear the beautiful sound of rattles (I'm talking rattle snake here folks) coming right from where you just placed your foot--it's good for the body to break out in a cold sweat now and then.

There are things to ponder while you're busy catching nothing. Things like, what made that rustling noise in the bushes behind you? Of course, all of the horror stories you've ever read about bear attacks go flashing through your head to help intensify the moment. What an adventure!

And there's that wonderful fisherman's smell that everybody loves. It's such a romantic aroma. It should be bottled and sold--"Essence of Dead Fish"--works for me.
Another great thing about fishing is it can be done rain or shine. Why, many people swear to the fact that some of their best fishing has been in the rain. I'm sure they mumble that to themselves, every time they hobble back to camp drenched, numb, and empty-handed.

Finally, all you need to join this fun is, for a slight fee, the purchase of a license...and bait...and sinkers... and floats… and hooks… and…

16 comments:

cmk said...

Whatever floats your boat, I guess! (Yeah, I know what I just wrote. :)) My idea of a nice summer vacation is this: step out of my air conditioned house, get into my air conditioned SUV, step out of the SUV and into an air conditioned hotel or shopping mall and then reverse the order of things. Pure heaven! I gave up outdoor activities MANY years ago--and that includes fishing. But, you enjoy!

Kelly said...

What great memories Doug!! Believe it or not I once caught a citation Crappie! I've experienced all the things you described~~ well except the stinging nettles one (I do have a brain, you know). It's been years, but the property I've just bought has a stocked pond on it,so I'm hoping to teach a couple of kids some fishing tricks this summer. Thx for the memories.;)

madameplushbottom said...

I see you've been talking to Russel from the local bingo palace. True story... he asked my friend out with this line, "Hi, My name is Russel, I'm not going to get too close right now because I smell like fish but I was wunnering if you'd like to have dinner with me sometime."

Any surprise my friend said no?

And Doug - if you're ever looking for a way to get out of fishing... just stop paying child support. They've taken to revoking fishing licenses here in MN for ppl who stop paying child support.

Whoda thunk? I spose they think if you can't fish you'll return to work?

Anywho... funny post as usual. See ya on the lake!

Valerie said...

Hence why i choose to go to restaurants for my fish fix. If i had to fish, i'd probably starve.

JunieRose2005 said...

:)

.....SO NOW I have a better picture of why men like to fish!

Funny, Doug! :)

Junie

Cheryl said...

Ahhh, you make me miss the sweet peace and quiet of fishing trips I took with Dad as a child. My trips were often riddled with my dad cursing my grandfather. He swore Grandpa scared the fish away by touching the bait with his fingers that had hair gel on them. Because the trout could smell it.

Melanie J Watts said...

hmmnn, and I thought fishing was boring

Sideways Chica said...

Dear Doug...I have been a fisherperson my entire life. I love it...all I do is think about fishing, and then I completely relax. Several years back I started flyfishing...and I'll never go back to bait fishing again. It is all catch and release for me and I am "hooked." Having said that, I must let you know that midafternoon flyfishing in the certain tailwaters in Colorado is wonderful (and beautiful). I have landed several 25-inchers, and that's no fishing story.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful fishing story...

Ciao,

Teri

cantellya said...

WOOOHOOOO! I gotta agree with ya there! I'm a bass fisherwoman myself. And I learned last year (when I wore my union suit under my clothes during a particularly chilly spring day) NOT to drink so much coffee!

Hale McKay said...

Ah - "My wife said if I go fishing, she's gonna leave me. I'm sure gonna miss her."

I spent a lot of time fishing growing up and your post was full of "been-there-and-done-thats."

I haven't seen a night crawler in nearly 30 years. We use to use small crayfish (crawl dabbers) to fish for lg mouth bass, muskies, and trout.

Doug Bagley said...

As the bumper sticker once read, "my worst day fishing beats my best day at work."
Thanks y'all for your comments.

me said...

DOUG! GREAT POST!!
The olderbrothers told me years ago that I was not "allowed" to go fishing anymore because I had "issues" with the concept of peace and quiet. Imagine THAT.

Given your wonderful post I might just have to reconsider, 35 years later peace and quiet sounds like a good thing!

Jamie Dawn said...

I love to fish, but I REALLY love to CATCH!!
I've fished some all my life. We had family vacations/camping/fishing trips many times when I was growing up.
I'm not grossed out my the worms either. I don't like how grimy my hands get though after putting on the worms and touching the fish you catch. I'm always a little afraid of the fish. They can spike you with their spiky things, and they spazzzz out, which makes me spazzzzz out.

I will avoid using anything other than TP or pocket Kleenex tissues when it comes to taking care of bathroom business.

4evergapeach said...

Now I'm trying to remember what I enjoy about fishing.....No, really, I do enjoy it, whether I catch anything or not. I'm not a big fanatic, but I love going out in a boat, early in the morning, while the water is still and just getting aquainted with Mother Nature.

Late afternoon fishing is enjoyable too as long as there is a cooler along. (and that cooler's got more than fish bait in it!)

doodlebugmom said...

Love this! A friend of mine got charge by a wild pig while fishing last summer. I made a mental note to never fish with him!

If you want to read some good fishing stories...check out "The Adventures of Thunderfoot" by Dan Bomkamp. (oh i sound like spam dont i? lol). He is fun to read and lives close by me!

:o) happy weekend!

Doug Bagley said...

Doodlebugmom:I got chased out of the Little Snake River in Idaho by a bull moose once, but that's a tale for another time.