Sunday, April 30, 2006

Getting It in the "End"

A visit to the doctor’s office is usually something most of us dread. Let’s face it, other than visiting the doctor for a yearly physical, most of us only see him when something’s wrong with our health, and usually that visit entails a lot of prodding, poking, bloodletting, and many other very uncomfortable things. It’s true. It happened to me a while back.

Now, I won’t bore you with the details of the ailment that sent me seeking a doctor’s advice. I will tell you this much, in order to be sure that certain maladies weren’t the culprit of my illness, the doctor needed a good view of my insides. To do this he had to use a scope, a scope that was not inserted down my throat. No, it went somewhere else, and in the immortal words of Forrest Gump (a true American if ever there was), “That’s all I have to say about thaaaaat.”

To be sure, the preparation for scoping one’s innards is worse than the procedure itself. You see, the first thing you’re instructed to do, starting twenty-four hours before the procedure takes place, is to stop eating solids, only clear liquids can go into your body. Do you know what that means? It means for a whole day your main course at meal times is basically BOUILLON SOUP. It’s flavored water for Pete’s sake! Don’t get me wrong, bouillon soup has its place in the culinary world. But as a staple to one’s diet for a whole day, well, that’s just flat out abuse. I mean, by the end of a work day, a work day during which you have not eaten any solid food, you’re so starved and fatigued you can barely make it through the front door of your house without collapsing. Since you can't eat and your strength is all but gone, you stumble to the sofa, clumsily grab the remote control to your T.V., and turn that succor on. Huge mistake!

Do you know how many commercials there are on T.V. that has something to do with food? I swear, three out of every five commercials will remind you of just how hungry you are.

The second bit of torture the doctor wants you to inflict upon yourself is worse than the starvation diet of beef and chicken flavored water. Let me tell you, it’s the most hideous, awful thing known to man. I’d rather have all my teeth pulled at once without anesthetic than go through it again. You see, in order for the doc to clearly see your insides through the scope your insides must be empty.
At two P.M., the day before the scope, you are required to drink two ounces of castor oil. If you've never had to drink castor oil consider yourself blessed. But if you want to know what it's like; well, gagging, coughing, choking, and dry heaving are things with which you become intimately acquainted.

Now, struggling to drink and keep the castor oil down is just the beginning of your problems. You see, once ingested, that putrid stuff turns you into a castor oil time bomb, and you have no idea when you will explode. Will you detonate before you leave work? Will you detonate while driving home from work, stuck in traffic? Or will you detonate after you arrive home, where you can promptly and privately take care of the situation? It’s literally a crap shoot, pun intended.

But the most aggravating thing of this whole ordeal isn't the starvation. It isn't choking down castor oil; it's not even turning one’s self into a castor oil time bomb. No, the most aggravating thing about this whole scenario is that you get to pay the doctor hundreds of dollars for the pleasure of being tortured.

So, if sharing this experience has educated you to the horrors of having your innards looked at then I consider my job well done, and just think, it was painless and it didn’t cost you a dime.

13 comments:

Rachel said...

LOL! I think you covered it quite well. I have had my innards looked at and the tortore before is pretty rough stuff indeed.

But it's a necessary thing!

Kelly said...

LOL I have a friend who is a Proctologist. After a few drinks~~ lol the stories he tells ;) ~~~Next time practice some musical 'toots' before you go in ~ just to amuse the doc while he's 'probing' ;)

Hope all came out well for you. Literally. ~ and I mean the test.

JulesinParadise said...

My sweetheart had that "procedure" done not long ago too. Now he is in for the scope somewhere else...and that's all i'm going to say about that.

Hope all is well with you.

cmk said...

But they give SUCH GOOOOOD drugs when they do the procedure--I asked for a doggy bag!! :) (They refused my request--go figure.)

me said...

WOW. And I whined at the prospect of a mammogram!

JunieRose2005 said...

:)

Have been putting that one off for years.....

June

JulesinParadise said...

P.S. by popular demand...you're tagged! Jules et al

The Fashion Diva said...

LMFAO!!! My mother had to have the same thing done although instead of the oil, I think she said she had to drink a gallon of crap - pun most certainly intended. hehe

Now I'm the type who will avoid doctors like the plauge anyway and after hearing about my mother's experience along with reading about yours, I know exactly why!

T - Another Geek Girl said...

Now a girl like myself doesn't mind a little poking, prodding and bloodletting, however I have been known to return the favor.

Doctors don't really like having it done back to them. you should try it next time.

Wonderful photo.
George Clooney never looked so good.

madameplushbottom said...

ummm yeah Doug? Where was Skunky in all of this? Funny enough, when you wrote, will you "detonate" in your car... at work... I read it as will you "donate"... of course in the same sense. That's just where my mind went.

Better you than me - that's all I have to say!

Sideways Chica said...

Great post Doug! I have to say that you were very descriptive and it almost seemed like deja vu. But (pun not intended), not quite. :)

Having said that...my "too young for this to happen to us" husband went in for a "precautionary, nothing will come of it" prostate exam a few years ago and lo and behold, there were those nasty little cancerous and precancerous cells threatening to ruin our lives. We were able to nip those little suckers in the bud with treatment designed for early detection and for a healthy remaining lifestyle...for both of us!

Thanks for the great read. Ciao.

Unknown said...

Ouch. You descibe it all so well. I don't ever want to be in that seat.

Cheryl said...

Lovely. I've not been taking care of my acid reflux (because I love the coffee that aggravates it), but not taking care of it could mean a camera down my throat (at least not the other end) if I'm not careful. I think I'm going to go throw the coffe out now.

Hope all is well.