Sunday, October 16, 2005

My Theory and Welcome to It

It was the year of 1993 when I began to understand why the number thirteen is considered unlucky. That was when my oldest child officially became a teenager.

Now, it's my theory that when a child hits adolescence certain cells in his brain, the ones which make the rest of the human population sane and reasonable, go dormant. This dormancy is evident by certain behavioral changes in the child.

One of the first changes to take place when a child becomes a teen is what I have termed teenage logic. The following is a prime example of what I'm talking about.

When my oldest son was in the 7th grade he decided he'd set his alarm clock for 5:30 am to give himself ample time to prepare for school. Sure enough, the first day of school at 5:30 in the morning, his alarm (which sounded like the warning alarm that alerts prison officials of an escape attempt) tore apart the quiet of our house. Of course, oldest son slept through the noise.

After peeling myself from my bedroom ceiling, I stumbled upstairs to his room to awaken him. I banged on the wall, flipped his light switch on and off, and yelled his name in an effort to stir signs of life in him.

Finally, he opened an eye half way and said, "I don't have to get up 'til 6:30."

"Then why did you set your alarm for 5:30?" I asked.

"To let me know that I have an hour before I have to get up and get ready." ARRRRRGH!

Another result of the cell dormancy phenomenon is the development of a language called Teenage-eese, the official language of teenagers. In this language words that an adolescent learned at the knees of his parents takes on new definitions.

For instance, once, while in the kitchen, the ceiling above me started rumbling as if a professional wrestling free-for-all was being held up stairs.

"What's going on up there?" I hollered.

"Nothing!" my teenager answered.

Nothing, in Teenage-eese, means, "We're holding a free-for-all wrestling tournament up here, but we don't want you to know about it because we'll get grounded" Got that right.

Another interesting fact is that all adolescent people suffer from a temporary loss of hearing. It seems that they can't talk unless they speak loud enough for the whole county to hear, and
the volume at which their music (boy, am I using that term loosely) is played takes noise pollution to a whole new level. All three of my teens would turn up the volume on the home stereo to decibels I never even knew existed.

If I turned the stereo down, to say the noise level of a jumbo jet as it screams down the runway for takeoff, I'd receive complaints that the music was barely audible. At least this explains why my sons' favorite word during this period of time was, "What?!"

I don't know, but I 'd be willing to bet that more anti-depressants are prescribed to parents suffering the pains of the teen years than to any other group of people. But there is good news.

You see, this cell dormancy phenomenon only lasts about seven to eight years . . . per child. Here's hoping that those of you living with teenagers can survive that long.

19 comments:

Suzy said...

Trouble is, once that stage is over they usually leave home and then you almost wish you could turn the clock back.
I did say "almost".

Doug Bagley said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Doug Bagley said...

LOL! Yes you did say "almost."
I do miss them now that they have their own lives. But they call weekly and tell me they love me and that's worth more than any material things I could obtain in this life.

S said...

My girl is just 9, but thanks for the prewarnings...I will remember this information for the future!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

madameplushbottom said...

Because I don't have children of my own this brought me back to remembering how I was as a teenager. I always tell my mother that she deserves an award for living through my teenage years. Especially with my dad dying early on, when I was 14. My mother had the joy of coping with that adjustment and a teenage girl who lived totally out of control!

The good news is that I adore my mother now and we are now experiencing the joyful "grown-up" relationships that can develop if everyone lives through the teenage years.

Great post Doug!

Drywall Mom said...

Now that I have children, my parents say its payback for all the hell we put them through. I guess that's about right since we were their payback to my grandparents having to put up with them.

me said...

I think I remember 1993! Though was part of the "sleep deprived young mother decade". Back then the music blaring through my house was the theme from Barney. Thank goodness times have changed!!! LOL

A. B. Chairiet said...

Hi Doug,

Thought I'd stop by and properly introduce myself, so to speak...and also to say thank you for the nice comments elsewhere, and now I have one for you:

You're a really great writer.

And as for those pesky kids: When I was pregnant, a relative asked me if I was wild growing up...Because if I was, that my own child would be twice as bad...especially if it should turn out to be a girl!

(Sigh)

I have a feeling things are going to get pretty rough around here in about...Oh I don't know...Ten, twelve years or so!

Thank God she's still not talking now...Just enjoy the silence while I can. ;)

~ Ash

SonSon said...

LOL Great post! My sister, who has already been through 2 teenagers is always saying to infants "Oh, you are so cute! But I know what you're going to grow up to be. A teenager!" Then she hands them back to their mothers.

Greta Björg said...

Ha, ha,...
I have my (then) teenage sons to thank for that I learned to like the music of the supergroup "Iron Maiden". I was simply forced to (being a single mum at the time didn´t make things easier), having to listen to their music from dawn to far after dusk; either that or leave home!
But I survived and now that my sons are respectively 33 and 27, hearing heavy metal from the nineties brings back fond and funny (in retrospect!)memories.

Melanie J Watts said...

Greta, I too have become to like the music of my teens favourite groups.

Doug, Thought I'd let you know it is minus four celsius this AM Here in Prince George BC. THat is 24.8 degrees Fahrenheit.

Doug Bagley said...

Lr: one word--BRRRRRRRRRR.

Msmeg: glad you and your mom are on good terms now. Family is so important.

A.B. Chairiet: Thank you so much for your kind words.

And that goes for all of y'all. I do appreciate your comments on my posts.Thanks

Doug Bagley said...

OOPS! The "Brrrrrrr" was meant for Melanie, but Lr, you're probably freezing up your way too.

Anonymous said...

Ok, Fess Up, what did you delete?

I love loud music! Does this mean I am young or just getting harder of hearing?

Nothing rocks your soul like some "good" "loud" tunes. My fave picks at the moment are:

Faraway by Nickelback
Better Days by GooGoo Dolls
Bad Day by Daniel Pouter

Is it sad that I'll be glad when I don't have to go "Trick or Treating" anymore?

Doug Bagley said...

I love loud music too, along with other types, especially the great rock music I grew up on and country music to of the traditional syle.

Doug Bagley said...

btw,
the deleted comment was my own. I screwed up on the typing but didn't realize it 'til after I posted it.

4evergapeach said...

I have 3 teenagers and oh the stories I could tell! I jokingly tell people that when they turned 13 I should have put them up for adoption...lol. But of course only kidding. They are all 3 great kids, but can definitely be trying.

I'll never get the music (like you - used lightly). And now the big thing is getting a sub (subwoofer?) to put in their cars (that they don't even have yet!) I can 'feel' a car coming before I hear it when their friends come over.

Thanks for dropping by!

JulesinParadise said...

Stay safe in this wild Florida weather...we are expecting landfall from Wilma sometime tonight...

Doug Bagley said...

Thanks Jules,
You stay safe too. All of y'all down there are going to get hit worse than us so be careful.