Monday, October 03, 2005

Middle-Age-Crazy

When I returned to college as non-traditional student, I felt the urge to grab a bottle of Grecian Formula and start pricing Corvette Stingrays; I was going through a mid-life crises.

I began acting like those old men I used to laugh at when I was a kid. You know the type: They're in their mid-forties; they part their hair down by one ear to hide their bald spots that is until people begin whispering in their noses.

They're also the guys who won't admit they have a middle-age spread and always buy pants two inches too small in the waist and walk around with their stomachs sucked in so deep their chests hit their chins. But I digress.

Now, when I returned to school, I thought I was still in my prime. But one day a young classmate and I were talking, and I mentioned something about the first landing on the moon. "You can remember the first moon landing?!" he exclaimed. By the tone of his voice, you would have thought it had taken place a hundred years earlier.

As if that wasn't bad enough, later that day, while walking to another class, I overheard a couple of young ladies discussing some guy in their previous class who was "at least thirty years old." I was turning thirty-one the following week, and their comment was the one that got me.

For the first time, I noticed my mid-section rolled a little--OK, a lot--over my belt. It was a struggle just to keep from making a mad rush to the nearest pay phone and place an emergency call to Jenny Craig.

For some reason my hair seemed a bit grayer. Old injuries ached a little more; I moved a little stiffer.

And that is why exercising was tough. Oh, I did it, but the morning after, rigor mortis set in, and I'd decide it wasn't worth it. Even my eyelids would get sore from exercising. Once the soreness left, though, and I was amongst the younger crowd again, I'd go middle-age-crazy and the whole routine started over.

Well, that was a while back and I guess things have gotten better, a little anyway. I no longer sit straighter in chairs to stretch the rolls of my stomach so the buttons on my shirt won't pop and my "love handles" won't show.

No, I've discovered loose-fitting, over-sized, non-tuck-in shirts. Not only do they hide the fact that my stomach has gone from a six-pack to a soggy roll of Pillsbury dough boy biscuits, but they also allow me to, when needed, walk around with unsnapped pants and a loosened belt, usually the result of over-eating.

But let’s get back to that little mid-life crisis. I have to admit something good did come out of that. You see, I'd always thought getting old meant that when you go to bed at night you put our teeth in a cup, your ears in a drawer, your eyes in a case, your hair on a shelf, and the friends who visit you the most are the Ritis brothers...Arthur and Bruce.

Now I realize it's all just a matter of perspective.

10 comments:

SaffronSaris said...

I think, deep down inside, what you felt is one of the reasons I decided to head back to school before I hit 30. It sounds odd to me when the lecturers commented that it is tough to juggle school with work and kids. Hah, I totally couldnt relate to the last item.

Doug Bagley said...

Saffronsaris,
You probably took the best route, though for me, I think I needed the world to give me a butt-kicking in order for me to succeed at my studies and earn my degree.
Thanks for reading and for your comments. They're always welcomed.

SonSon said...

Middle Age Crazy. Would that include things like wearing a fake nose ring for fun, getting a tattoo on your toe, or putting a wild color in your hair? Cause I've done all that. Crazy. Mostly I find I don't mind getting older, I just don't want others to think of me as "old".

me said...

I went back to school in my mid 30's. As I've juggled being a single mom, a student and trying to earn a living, it often felt like new grey hairs and wrinkles appeared overnight.
While there is something mildy intoxicating being around all the "youth" one finds on a university campus, I admit I was always secretly pleased to find I was never the oldest student in the classroom.
That all changed this fall....for the first time I'm the most "mature" student in all of my classes, and horror of horrors, even a prof is younger than I!!!
Its a good thing I graduate in April, my fragile ego (HA HA) couldn'take much more :)
Great post Doug!

Anonymous said...

Doug, you need to check out on my blog the ten things that age you. See where you fit in. :)

I've added years to my age, by just not keeping up with it. It always makes a nice surprise at birthday time when I finally realize that I am younger than I thought I was.

If you think that makes me blonde, you'd be correct in your assumption. ha :)

Suzy said...

It is so good to grow old gracefully and not to worry about it. I am doing that! (Sure I am! As long as I have my L'Oreal hair dye, my wrinkle cream and no-one sees my glasses that I keep hidden in case I really need to read something!).
Anyway we can still keep up with those "young un's" if we try!

Doug Bagley said...

For sure, Slim.

me said...

wow very nice post... yeah i know what u're talking about, but u know sometimes i think ...why do we have to go through all this?? i mean it's not like we didn't know this day was coming right??? so why aren't we able to deal with it? to be happy with ageing? im the first who's struggling against it... trying to keep fit and look good and then again...what for?? lol

~Ceejay said...

Ahhh, I can relate. I went back at age 36. It was actually better than I thought it'd be. I don't even mind being older than a lot of my professors anymore. :)

doodlebugmom said...

It hit me when, on our way to church one day, my son asked how I got the white-highlights in my hair!

I have been considering the back-to-school thing...thanks for the warning! lol