Sunday, October 09, 2005

Bear Blunder Blues

Over the years, this great state that I live in has had a serious problem. Certain stretches of highway have been built, in what used to be virgin forests, across paths that black bears have been traversing for hundreds of years.

Now, these roads don't deter the bears in the least bit from continued use of these paths, which causes all kinds of havoc on motorists and their cars, not to mention the poor bears, when the two collide. Unfortunately, the citizens of our fair state have relied on the infinite wisdom of our government for a solution to this critical problem.

A few years back, the members of our state legislature put their collective minds together and came up with a brilliant answer. They spent hundreds of thousands if not millions of taxpayer dollars to burrow holes under the highways, thereby providing a bear crossing. Yes, you read it correctly. Our government here in Fantasy Land built bear crossings under our roads.

Oh, but this is not all. After the completion of a tunnel there's an unveiling ceremony held to commemorate the momentous occasion (I don't think any bears have been invited to one yet). We even have signs erected on both entrances of the tunnel stating that it is indeed a "bear crossing."

The biggest problem this great solution? BEARS CAN'T READ!

So, we now have expensive bear crossings under our highways, but because the bears are illiterate they still traverse the roads. This leaves the undying question, what will the government do now?

Well, I have a few ideas on the subject that I'm more than happy to share.

One option is a government funded "Learn To Read" program for bears. Of course, this would mean a world-wide search for someone willing to teach the bears to read. It would also mean the rounding up of all bears in the vicinity and force them to attend the program. This would cost dearly though--especially if the A.C.L.U. gets involved by filing law suits in favor of bears'
rights-- But hey, when it comes to spending tax payer dollars spare no expense, right?

We could even hold a graduation ceremony for the bears when they finish their schooling. The State could provide caps and gowns, hire a speaker, and just throw a grand ole celebration.

Ah, but it's said that bears have lousy eye sight. So maybe it would be better to teach them to read Braille instead.

But better yet, it's my understanding that bears rely more on their keen sense of smell than on their eyes to guide them through the woods. So, maybe every day the state highway department, using the guys you always see on the side of the road leaning on their shovels while one guy does all of the work, could collect road-killed animals and lay them in a line leading from the woods through the bear tunnel. This way, the bears could also snack as they smell their way under the highway.

Another option our great state could try is to hire the animal trainer from the Barnum and Bailey Circus. He could train the bears to cross under the road instead of traversing over it. Of course as soon as the trainer finishes his job and heads back to the circus, the bears, like most students when their teacher's back is turned, will probably become unruly and do what they darn well please anyway. So that's a questionable idea.

Well, there you have it. My solutions to our state's bear blunder blues. You know, it's this kind of government boo boo that tempts me to get more involved in politics.

But then, maybe not. I mean, it was just recently that I learned the Middle East Position has nothing to do with making a move on a board game.

12 comments:

Suzy said...

LOL, we actually have Koala crossings on the mainland of Australia but not underground ones. Unfortunately, our animals are a bit like your bears and they can't read either. Consequently we have a lot of road kill too. Mainly wallaby, possums and Tasmanian devils here in Tasmania.

Anonymous said...

We kill bears, birds will kill us all... the cycle continues... for the moment. Being a pessimist today.

You neglected to add the picka nicka basket Yogi. Put a picka nicka basket in all of the tunnels.

That same guy doing nothing but leaning on the shovel could actually dangle it from end of the tunnel to entice the bears to use it.

Or~ Bear skin rugs, maybe a skirt... nice hat, maybe even some boots? the possibilities are truly endless.

me said...

LOL, I love that you labled the blunder a "boo boo"! Conjured up visions of Yogi, Ranger Smith and a pic-a-nic basket! HEY.....maybe THATS a method they could try!
Here in B.C. we have Elk Overpasses on several of our highways. Perhaps we should extend bear education to learning of all sorts of wildlife...I mean you just KNOW that if the bears get a diploma, the deer and the antelope will not be happy and there will be conflict out there on the range!

Greta Björg said...

No bears in Iceland, not even polar ones, except one or two on occasion crossing over from Greenland on an iceberg. Too few to put together a reading-course for.

On the other hand we have some reindeer that could do with being educated on how to cross or not to cross roads.

Maybe we should consider spending some tax money on sending a commitee over to the States for a seminar on animal litteracy?

Upon returning the participants could hold government-aided reading-courses for reindeer, sheep and horses...

Doug Bagley said...

Well, if Yogi is "smarter than the average bear" (I do a pretty good "Yogi" and "Boo Boo" imitations by the way)then maybe we should hire him to teach the others to read the signs directing them to go under the highway. They might take it better having it come from one of their own.

SonSon said...

LOL That is too (sadly) hilarious. I both can and can't believe the government did that. Absolutely too much.

Doug Bagley said...

True story, SonSon. If I'm lying may lightening strike me...wait, I live in the lightening capital of the U.S. I'm safe.

4evergapeach said...

LOL!! and I mean 'literally' I am laughing out loud! I just came over to thank you for visiting my sight but now I think I'm hooked. If the rest of your post's are as entertaining as this I may not get to bed any time soon. Gee Thanks, that's all I needed.

When you fair state figures out a solution to your bear dilemna please let me know and I will forward information to our state and see if it will work for the deer. Take care! I'll be back!

Unknown said...

You left a comment on my blog and I just wanted to thank you for it. You are the first person to tell me he wasn't worth it in the first place... thank youl

4evergapeach said...

Hi again Doug. Somehow I must have just changed the videos and missed which one you were referring to. The last one was Terri Clark..."I Think the World Needs a Drink" Does that clarify it? I'm too confused...think I'll go have a drink...LOL

Lindsey said...

They built a 'bear tunnel'? Now I've heard of everything.

Lucy Stern said...

That sounds typical of the government.... Yes, I'm LDS. Are you just starting up with blogging? I noticed there were no other posts...