Monday, June 09, 2008

A Thought for Father's Day

It’s a sad fact, but often it’s not until we nearly lose a loved one that we realize just how much that person means to us. We take for granted that he or she will always be around. This lesson was brought to light in my life just a few years ago.

One morning, while living in Branson, Missouri, I received a phone call from Orlando, Florida. The call was from my older brother who informed me that my dad had just been taken by ambulance to a hospital. It appeared dad had suffered a heart attack. At that time, the only other information my brother had was that dad was stabilized and being transferred to another hospital that specialized in treating heart patients.

A few hours later the phone rang again. This time it was my oldest brother, who lived out west, on the line. Mom called and asked him to relay additional information.

Dad had indeed suffered a heart attack. The doctors found that one of his coronary arteries was 99% blocked. Another was 50% blocked. Dad’s heart had only been getting 60% of its normal blood flow, so the doctors were going to perform an angioplasty to try and break up the blockage.

That afternoon I received a third call concerning my father’s status. This time, the call was from my mother. Even though each call concerning my father brought news that was worse than the previous call, I was still dumbfounded by mom’s update.

Dad didn’t just have a heart attack. He’d had a major coronary. How much damage his heart had sustained was yet to be determined, and although the angioplasty was a success, the doctors had to use the “electric paddles” three times to shock dad’s heart back into a steady rhythm. The next 48 hours would be the most critical for him. All we could do now was pray and hope he’d pull through.

I went into a numbing shock. I couldn’t think. I couldn’t feel, just blank inside.

Dad had always been there for us. He had always been the steady, strong one, the one everybody leaned on, the foundation of our family (even now, as I’m closing in on the 50th year of my life, from time to time I find myself seeking dad’s wisdom and council on important issues). The mere thought of dad not being around anymore was incomprehensible.

So much of who I am, the kind of man I am, I owe to my father. By word and by example he taught me many important things, things like honesty, integrity, and to seek God’s guidance in all my endeavors.

Dad also taught me the meaning of love and sacrificing for your loved ones when, during years of financial strain, I saw him go without many necessities so he could afford shoes for my brothers and me or buy food for us to eat.

As I witnessed my father conquer many of his weaknesses, I learned that it’s never too late, you’re never too old to improve yourself.

I owed him so much. I had so many unsaid “thanks,” “I love you,” and “I’m sorry,” that his time on earth just couldn’t be through.

You see, when I reached my teenage years my dad and I had some heated disagreements. I was hotheaded, strong willed, and stubborn. I was very disrespectful.

Yes, the thoughtlessness of youth convinced me that dad knew little concerning life, especially a teenager’s life. But time and the experience of parenthood taught me just how wrong I was.

I found myself more than ever regretting the times I mistreated dad. I just had to have one more chance to tell dad that I loved him, that I respected and honored him, and that I was so very sorry for giving him such a rough time when I was younger.

Then shame filled my soul. I felt so sad that it took a tragedy like a major coronary to make me realize how much I took dad for granted. And as I thought about having never really expressed to him what he’s meant to me all of my life, and that I may never get the chance to tell him, I felt a heavy weight upon my own heart.

Thankfully, I was given the opportunity to express my love to my father. He recovered, albeit with quite a bit of damage, from his heart attack.

But what about those people who aren’t so blessed to have another chance to tell and show their loved ones how they feel about them? How do they cope with knowing that because they took for granted, as we all do, that their loved ones would always be around, they passed on opportunities to express their love for them?

And therein, my dear readers, lies the lesson; don’t wait to tell the people you care about what they mean to you. Who knows, the next chance you get might be your last.

12 comments:

PinkCat said...

A very touching post Dough and you are so right in what you write. Thank you for sharin.

LZ Blogger said...

Doug ~ Not only a great TRIBUTE to your dad, but also very introspectively written enough to give us ALL pause to THINK about those we love! There’s a great lesson to learn here for us all! BRAVO! ~ jb///

Doug Bagley said...

Thank you lz. I appreciate the kind words.
Cat,good to hear from you again!Been wondering how ya been. Since I last heard from you I've a publisher looking over a collection of my writing for a book. Cheers, as they say in your home country.

JunieRose2005 said...

Dear Doug,

This is a very true and touching post.

No matter how we try there will always be regrets... of things left unsaid , and things we wish we could take back, when we lose a loved one, especially a parent.

I tried very hard to have as few of those feelings to deal with ( in caring for my mom and finally losing her ) as possible. I was mostly successful in this.
~~~
I want to wish you the best with your writing! :) I'll be checking so keep us informed here!

Junie

Zanna said...

So, so true Doug - why do we find it so hard to tell those people who are so important to us, how much we love them. And what a beautiful tribute to your dad. Thanks for popping in Z xx

Unknown said...

Great post. And yes, never, never take that love for granted. There are so many people who would die for that kind of relationship with their parents.

Happy Father's Day, BTW!

Jamie Dawn said...

This is a terrific and heartwarming post.
I am so glad you were given more time with your dad and the chance to say what was in your heart. You are so right about many people who are not granted that wonderful gift of more time.
I am very close to both my parents, and we talk every couple of days. I am thankful for them, and just like you and your dad, my parents provided great examples for me to follow.
Your love and respect for your dad really shines through in this post.

Melanie J Watts said...

Lovely words for your Dad. You are lucky to have him still alive. My Dad had prostate cancer when he died eleven years ago. It all happened so fast, nine months after the diagnoses, I never really had a chance to realize the implications, that he would be gone, untill it was over.

Envoy-ette said...

I wish every teenage boy/girl could read this post Doug. Very well put indeed.
What I miss about my dad not being here is that he didn't meet my husband or boys. But then I remember my faith and realize he meets them where they are, whenever he wants. My regret now is that my boys didn't get to experience the man my dad was..because like you, he shaped their parent. Having a grandpa in their life would make all the difference in the world with their dad gone. I mourn the loss for my boys.
But today, I wanted to wish you a very happy FATHER'S DAY! May you quickly recover any wounds the day may bring! =)

JulesinParadise said...

A wonderful entry for this week. Thank you!

Rachel said...

Very touching post and a great tribute to your Dad. You are so right in what you have said, and I'm thankful that you were able to tell him what you wanted to and he was given more time.

Wonderful post!!!

Renae said...

You have expressed some valuable points Doug. It certainly does make a person stop and reflect on everyone in there life, not just family. I have people in my life that are not blood related but I love them dearly, just like family. I did have the chance awhile back to sit with a dear friend and tell her how much she meant to me before she passed away. She was young, but she was my family. Cheers :-)