Sunday, June 04, 2006

Just Say Neeeeeiiiiiiiiigh

It’s come to my attention that people will go to no end to improve (or so they think) their looks. Just look at what we do to our hair and you’ll understand what I’m talking about.

Back when I was married, I was in the bathroom when I noticed something that got me to thinking, and we all know how dangerous that can be. I noticed that on one of the shelves was a conditioner the “Mrs.” had bought for her hair. What’s strange about buying conditioner for one’s hair? Nothing, except for the fact the conditioner, MANE-N-TAIL, is a product used on horses!

Now, I wasn’t too worried when she began having cravings for carrots and Quaker Oats, nor was I worried when I asked what time she’d be returning from the supermarket and she stamped her foot three times. Heck, even the night she snuggled up to me in bed and whinnied in my ear caused no worries, but it was a real blow to my male psyche when she left me for Mr. Ed (in case you’ve forgotten, that was the old 1960s TV show where Ed, the horse, talked)!

As you might guess, this incident stroked my curiosity a bit, so I began taking a closer look at hair products. Needless to say, I had a good laugh or two at what I discovered.

The label on one of the shampoo bottles in our bathroom claims, in big bold letters, that it is PURE AND MILD. Is that a shampoo or a sermon? It sounds more like something taught in Sunday school than a claim on a shampoo bottle.

We used to have a shampoo at the house that claimed to be a “hair salad.” Now, I’ve heard of a fruit salad, a potato salad, and a garden salad, but a hair salad? Is that served with a drink or what?

Speaking of salads, there are shampoos on the market whose ingredients include jojoba, honeysuckle, kiwi, mango, coconut, apple pectin, wild cherries, vegetable oil, soy protein, corn, pineapple, cucumber, garlic, carrots, tomatoes, bitter orange (and what’s wrong with using a sweet orange?), peppermint, and Paraguay tea (as opposed to what, English tea?), reads more like the menu of the salad bar at a Shoney’s or an Olive Garden restaurant, doesn’t it? I mean, which do you do, eat the stuff or put it on your hair? Also, seems to me we could grow most of these ingredients in our gardens and make our own shampoo, easing the house-hold budget a bit.

And did you know there’s a product that claims to be a botanical hair humectant conditioner? A what? I can hardly say “botanical hair humectant conditioner” without tripping over my tongue let alone explain what the heck it supposedly does for your hair.

There’s also a product which is supposed to provide therapy for your hair. So, if my hair is out of control does it get a 45 minute therapy session? I’m not sure my health insurance covers that.
You know, this just begs the questions; exactly how does one go about getting a degree in hair psychoanalysis and what kind of questions would a therapist ask your hair? “So, when do you feel you started losing control? Were you fine as a child or have you always been a bit on the kinky side?” And would the therapy session include a check of your roots in search of ugly behavior patterns throughout past generations?

Yes, it certainly seems society’s obsession to obtain “perfect” hair has risen to a whole new level of bizarre, and . . . oh, oh, I have to end this little tirade now; the timer just buzzed, indicating it’s time to rinse the motor oil out of my hair.

16 comments:

Doug Bagley said...

Hey folks,
Thought I'd let you know that next week I'll be posting my "Skunky and Me" Father's Day story.

Luma Rosa said...

I see that it is worried very about cares with the hair. The creators of horses also! (laughs) Daqui pra front I find that I must give more attention in the described details in the papal briefs. I liked its visit to the "Light of Luma", if not to know the Portuguese can use the translator. I leave! Kisses

me said...

I have a friend who swears mayonaise is the "Best conditioner EVER", but I wonder if that isnt't just a rumour started by the folks at Hellmans to improve sales! :)

Have a great week Doug!

doodlebugmom said...

...whinnied in your ear....hahaha!

:o)

cmk said...

*blushes and hangs head* I have used MANE-N-Tail shampoo and conditioner--and liked it! :)

JulesinParadise said...

Another great start to my week, thanks Doug.

Rachel said...

Very funny post. I have used the Mane N Tail before but I couldn't tell any difference between it and any other shampoo. I skip those with the food ingredients!

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Guilty here too! I've tried that Mane-N-Tail stuff too...and personally, it wasn't any better or worse than anything else I've ever tried that's out there.

So, what do you recommend, Doug? Penzoil or Quaker State? :)

Kelly said...

Great Post Doug!! LOL~ I use mane-n-tail conditioner on the pup sometimes as well as the horses.~~ Okay, ok~~I confess ONCE a tried it on my hair as well~~ only because I was out of motor oil. ;)

Lis is right about the Mayo and Beer for a rinse works wonders as well. Makes you a Fat drunk-head. ( unless you use non-fat mayo )

Doug Bagley said...

What if you use "near beer"?

Luma Rosa said...

Debtor for the visit, I liked very! Kisses

JunieRose2005 said...

;) Very funny, Doug!

Makes me wanna go check my shampoo bottles!

This has nothing to do with hair but I was told by someone if you take...I believe it was... a half stick butter and about a half cup sugar and rub it into your hands completely until it's all gone, you will have the smoothest hands ever! I tried it and it's amazing how smoothe it makes your hands feel!

(lol- and here I go for that stick of butter...)

Junie

Anonymous said...

Nothing sexier than a guy washing your hair for you....awwwwwwww.

Cute post Doug, as always. :)

Hale McKay said...

Good post, Doug. I can't help but remember some of my friends in school who sported DA's. Brylcreme and "Butch" wax were big sellers then.

Anonymous said...

MESSAGE ON BEHALF OF MY FATHER DOUG
Hi, this is Dougs youngest son. By his request I'm writing this message to all of his readers. I hope I'm doing this right so everyone can read it. Anywho, my dad (DOUG) was taken to the emergency room late Friday night. I will let him fill everyone in on the details as he wishes but I stayed with him until 4:30am when he FINALLY got a room and he has been there for the last day. We're not too sure when he'll come home but this message is to inform everyone that he may be a little late with his next post but to be patient and he'll get it up here when he can. He's really happy to have people who read his work and enjoy it. I hope you all know that you were one of his primary concerns.
~Marcus Bagley

Heidi said...

Marcus thankyou for letting us know about your father..I'm so sorry to hear this and sending my best wishes, prayers and postive thoughts. I hope it's not too serious and he will be back home asap.