Monday, June 12, 2006

One Dynamite Father's Day--Another Skunky and Me Adventure

One memorable Father's Day happened when I was about 14 years old. It was the time I helped my childhood friend Skunky Wilson surprise his dad with a special gift.

Now, Skunky got his nickname on account of--well, let's just say that when Skunky left home the State's natural gas resources were depleted by one half.

The Wilsons lived on an old farm, and over the years no one had ever taken the time to scrape the cow waste out of the barn. After two or three generations the pile of cow patties began to be a problem--the barn doors wouldn't shut and Mr. Wilson had to duck when entering the building to keep from hitting his head on the door frame.

So, Skunky dialed me up one day to ask if I would help him with his Father's Day gift of removing the patty pile.

"I don't know," I said, "I'm already committed to something else."

"Like what?" Skunky asked.

"Like sitting on the porch with my little brother and watching the grass grow." Hey, anything was better than shoveling out an over-filled barn of manure.

"I've found some dynamite for the job," Skunky said in a sing-song, teasing kind of voice.

"I'll be there!"

In the early hours on the Saturday before Father's Day I met Skunky in front of the Wilson's barn. He stuck a piece of a dynamite stick in the center of the mound of manure and lighted it.

Now, rarely do the minds of 14-year-old boys work in a logical mode. Skunky and I were no exception. It never dawned on us that when the dynamite exploded, all that stuff had to go somewhere. It wouldn't just dissipate into thin air.

We took off running toward the corral gate, just a few yards away. We were almost there when we heard a loud KAAABOOM, followed by a hot blast of stifling air and manure, which swept us up into the air and deposited us against the corral fence.

After peeling ourselves off of the fence, Skunky asked, "Booger [that was me], you all right?"

With a loud ringing in my ears, I shook my head in the affirmative. "But you really should stop banging that bell. It might draw your father's attention and ruin the surprise. By the way, when does the plane land?" I was just a wee bit disoriented.

Well, we gathered ourselves together and sauntered toward the barn to inspect our workmanship. "No need worrying anymore about the barn doors not shutting," I said. They were no longer there.

Entering the building, we were blinded by the bright morning sun. "Yeeeeee haaaaw!" yelled Skunky. "Betcha we're the only family in the county with a sunroof in their barn." Even an idiot couldn't argue with him on that one.

As we stood there a moment, admiring our handy work, we suddenly felt cold, calloused hands-of-steel wrap around our necks--Mr. Wilson! For some reason he none too pleased with his Father's Day gift.

13 comments:

cmk said...

Please stop...my stomach is hurting and I am crying! Thanks for the laugh! (I'm picturing the whole thing in my head and I start laughing all over again!) Great story.

Unknown said...

The question, of course, still remains...did the shit indeed hit the fan?

I'm assuming they had one of those big antique fans to move the air in the barn...if only there were digital cameras and blogs back then...

JunieRose2005 said...

Skunky and Booger sure seem to have been a pair of thoughtful boys !

:) Too bad Skunky's dad didn't take kindly to his manure pile being messed with!

Junie

Sideways Chica said...

At first I was really impressed that you actually had a friend named "Skunky." Then I was even more impressed to find out that you were "Booger."

Here's to Skunky and Booger...and the alfresco barn episode! How I wish that I knew a Skunky and Booger when I was little.

Ciao Doug, I mean Booger. Thanks for the much needed laugh.

SonSon said...

That is too funny. I bet as Skunky's dad looks back on it, it may now be the best Father's Day gift he's ever had.

me said...

There has to be a movie in this someplace! Shop it around Doug!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the laughs!

Kelly said...

Doug~~ You and Skunky are what 'Dennis the Menace' and 'Spanky'evolved from! Come to think of it you do look like Dennis.
So, are you going to tell us how you got the name 'Booger'?~~ or should we just figure it out? ;)

Great story hon~ and I have several barns that need cleaning~~ you still in the business?

Doug Bagley said...

Kelly: if you have the dynamite I'll be there in a heartbeat.
As far as how I got the name "Booger", ask me no secrets I'll tell you no lies. OK,which story would you like? LOL--my parents loved our little town of Booger Holler so much they named me after it--or--I got it from a bad habit I never broke? Or... I'll leave it everyone's imaginations to figure it out.

Just Jan said...

LOL...that was an awesome story....my ex grew up on a dairy farm and oh my some of the stories they told..this one beats ANYTHING him and his brothers ever came up with....my sides hurt I'm laughing so hard!!!

Thanks for stopping by my place earlier!

Rachel said...

Well thanks for the belly laugh tonight! How funny!! I grew up on a farm and I know about manure and how it can pile up. I never thought about getting rid of it like that though!!

I am still laughing just picturing that whole scene with that crap flying everywhere and all the damage! Your childhood was not dull!! Dangerous, but not dull.

Hale McKay said...

Oh man - my side is hurting! Dynamite? My goodness! Your story sort of reminds me of the scene from "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," when they try to blow up the safe on the train. "Use enough dynamite there, Butch?" Of course the whole car was blown to smithereens.
...Great post.

eyes_only4him said...

that is what too funny..

whatever happen to ole skunky anyway?

oh, and why were you called booger? I think I would of rather been called skunky..haha

Anonymous said...

You should write a book about your adventures with Skunky... or should I say misadventures. I just moved back to Florida from East Tennessee and I can pictures all of these stories so vividly.

I am laughing so hard I am crying..

Kat Hicks, PVB, FL