Sunday, March 12, 2006

A Lesson in Southern Lingo

When I was a teacher, I taught at inner-city schools. Because I wasn't well versed in inner-city lingo, and my students weren't acquainted with Southern English, we spent the first three months of the school year trying to understand each other, always responding to one another with, "What?"

I don't teach anymore, but with so many people moving to the South communicating with each other can still be a trial. So, a crash course in Southern English is in order, and we'll start off with phonics. Class is now in session. Pay attention, there could be a quiz afterward.

1) Far: "Bubba, toss me the Rolaids. Those burritos we had for lunch set my stomach on far!"

2) Wat: "I thought maybe I'd paint the fence wat this year."

3) Haa-why: "Hey, wudda ya say we spend our vacation over to Haa-why."

4) Air-a-plane: "If we go to Haaa-why we'd get to ride in a big ole air-a-plane."

5) Dawg: "My dawg has no legs. Every night after work, I leash him and take him out for a drag."

6) Bade: "Bubba, I won't be to work today. I'm sick in bade."

7) Cain't: "No Bubba, I'm telling you I cain't come in to work because I'm sick."

8) Peels. "Here comes Aunt Bula and the kids. I'd best hurry and take one of those happy peels the doctor prescribed for me."

9) Ha Skule: "I can't wait to see some of the old gang at this year's ha scule reunion.

10) Winder: "Bubba, bet ya I can spit out this here winder farther than you."

Now, another part of southern lingo is the use of colorful expressions. Here's a random sample of some followed by an explanation of their meaning.

"You been a hollerin' sew-ee for a long time now and ain't brought no pigs to trough yet." What people say when I tell them some day "my ship will come in."

"Like the whale said about Jonah, 'I ain't a swallerin' that.'" My teacher's response when I told her my dog ate my homework.

"Don't say the preserves is spoilt 'til ya open the jar." My response to Skunky when he said my plan to skip school without getting caught wouldn't work.

"I'm as frustrated as a pyromaniac in a petrified forest." How I felt most afternoons when I was a teacher.

"I'm as hungry as a woodpecker with a sore beak." My answer when asked if I'm ready to eat.

"I'm feelin' lower than a hog with his chin on the auction block." What I said when I wrecked my truck.

"She's got more curves than a goats' path." How I described my first love to my best friend Skunky Wilson.

And finally, what Uncle Billy Roy Silas said to his wife when she lost a lottery ticket worth several thousand dollars, "I've been with ya when you was high on the hawg; I'll stick with ya whilst yer down around the hocks."

Well, there you have it, lesson number one on how to speak southern. Any questions? If so y'all give me a call, ya hear?

23 comments:

4evergapeach said...

Well I got to cypher on this one a bit, but I'll git back to ya! See y'all later now ya hear!

Anonymous said...

I think this has to be one of the funniest translators i've ever enjoyed playing with. My brother is a sheriff's deputy in the county of Contra Costa CA. They deal alot with the Richmond CA hoodies. When I turned my brother onto this site a few years back he then took the link to work to show the other officers. To this day they ACTUALLY use the translator. ROFL

http://www.joel.net/EBONICS/translator.asp

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention earlier - thanks for the praise of our baby boy coonhound & wishing him a happy birthday :)

Cheryl said...

I'm so glad you visited my place, 'cause then I came over here and I'm seeing some seriously good writing!

Right pleased to meet ya.

Jamie Dawn said...

I love that kind of talking.
Both sets of my grandparents came from either Oklahoma or Missouri, so our family has a lot of countryfied sayings & stuff.
My mom says a lot of funny phrases that she got from her mother & father.
If a lady is flat chested, she is "flatter than a flitter."
I heard, "I'm gonna snatch you bald headed" more than a few tiimes in my life.
I love how southern people give words extra syllables. I think it is so funny!

Rachel said...

Thank ya fer vistin that there blog of mine.

I'm from so fer back in them thar hills they had to pipe the sunshine in. I've carried slop to the hawgs many a time in my days. I really liked yer blog. It was very well writ. :)

madameplushbottom said...

this was a down right good posting feller. well done! Seriously... thanks for the entertainment. I was excited to remember that today was Monday and that there would be a new posting here to read.

Have a wonderful week Doug. Uff Da!

me said...

OK. I think I sort of got most of that. Do I get any extra points because I had to translate it from a foreign perpective? Points because there wasn't an "EH" or an "ABOOT" in the whole thing and I still got it?

Actually it made me laugh because its like talking to a friend of mine who spent many years in the southern states and can turn a 2 syllable word into a 5 or 6 syllable creation!

Speaking of translations.....I think I need to ask Meg to translate her Minnesota "uff da" phrase!!!

Isn't English FUN!!!!!!!!

BabyGirl said...

Your humor is very refreshing:) I can only imagine the fun your students had having you as a teacher!
(and nice looking to boot);)<~~~ and dat's pert near close as yu'll git to one of dem hi-faluting com-plea- mints dem city folks toss around.

Anonymous said...

Doug theres no parachute in the photo of the spaceman w/bigbird LOL - however its not an original of mine - I only added Dman on the helmet for our missing in computer space Daveman from http://daveman.blogdrive.com/ - he's been missing nearly a month & had been fighting off an infection in one of his feet - all his friends fear the worst - see ya soon :)

Envoy-ette said...

Cheeeeet! That's funny!

cantellya said...

THAT'S SO TRUE!!!!!!!

How about this one:

Jeet?

Nope, joo? ( did you eat, no, did you)

Anonymous said...

I find it amazing that we even understand each other at all in the south. Then I sit back and realize that we don't. :)

cantellya said...

The wife joke, now THAT was frickin' funny! I posted that guy's email addy's along w/ the pics. I realize there are more good than bad people out there, but it still upsets me that people can be such shits.

Amy said...

LOL!!!

Since the N.O. evacuees have moved to Houston, all of our students are picking up some of there sayings (in addition to their's). Here's one for you, that is said all the time . . .

"Ya hurd me?" OR "Ya 'no wat I meeen?" It doesn't matter if they really care or not. These are horrible vocalized pauses (I am a public speaking teacher)!

JulesinParadise said...

wahl, shuck my corn...this is a wonderous post...thanks for the laughs...i can use them this week.

Love your writing as always, Jules

Trudging said...

Yeehaw or is it Yee Haw

Unknown said...

And my favorite..."Now thar's diggin' where thar's taters!"

Melanie J Watts said...

I love it. I could listen to a southern accent all day

Courtney O. said...

So true :)

cmk said...

I remember the late Lewis Grizzard explaining the difference in the word "naked" in the north and "nekkid" in the south--hysterical! He was great.

Bar L. said...

I am always fascinated by all the different SOUTHERN dialouges and accents, I have friends from Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, Florida, etc....they all use different terms, it's too funny.

Unknown said...

I am moving to North Carolina from Ohio in a week, so hopefully all of this will come in handy.