Sunday, March 26, 2006

He Who Laughs Last. . .

When I was a youngster, my childhood friend Skunky Wilson and I reverenced April Fools Day. On that day, we made an extra effort to stretch our creative processes to out do our pranks of the previous year. Most often, we succeeded.

The April Fools of my 15th year, Skunky and I were walking home from school when I asked for his help to payback my brother Delroy and my mom for the pranks they'd played on me earlier that day--Mom and Delroy had put Lux Liquid dish soap in gelatin bowls, hoping the rest of the family would mistake them for whipped Jell-o. Knowing this was one of my favorite desserts, it was almost guaranteed that I'd fall for the prank. To this day, the taste of that stuff still lingers on my tongue.

Oh, but Mom and Delroy didn't stop there. They sewed the pant legs of my jeans shut, which made getting them on an interesting project. Then, at lunch that day, instead of biting into a sandwich with sliced lunch meat between bread slices, I bit into a sandwich with torn pieces of brown paper bag.

Well, Skunky agreed to help me, and after school we hung around the house, waiting for an opportunity to spring a couple of surprises on my mother and older sibling. And boy, were we successful.

As soon as Mom and my brothers left the house to run errands, the first thing Skunky and I did was enter the bathroom, find a can of mousse, a can of hair remover, and then searched for a glue stick. Once we had these items in hand, we carefully steamed the labels off of the cans, dried the labels, rubbed the backs of them with glue, and stuck them to the opposite can--the label from the can of hair remover to the can of mousse and vice versa.

Next, Skunky and I took the pins out of the hinges of my parents' bedroom door but left the door in place, shut, as if the pins were still in. We did the same to Delroy's bedroom door.

Later that evening, from the vicinity of Del's bedroom, we heard, "Aaaaayyyyeeee," followed by a loud crash and a faint, "Got me."

Everyone quickly gathered around the doorway of my brother's bedroom and laughter filled the hall as we stood there admiring Skunky's and my handiwork. It was a proud moment to be sure.
After this incident took place, paranoia set in amongst most everyone and backs were kept to the wall for a good portion of the evening. Just as everyone started to let down their guard a little, my dad entered his bedroom to put away some freshly washed clothes. Dad didn't say anything after the door crashed, at least nothing coherent. He just handed me a hammer and pointed to his bedroom. I grabbed the pins and promptly secured the door.

Well, I was feeling fairly full of myself as I crawled into bed, but as I slid under the blankets my legs came to an abrupt halt, practically jamming my knees up to my chin. "Hey, what's the deal here?" I asked. Yip, my bed had been short-sheeted, and I could hear Mom and Del laughing in their respective rooms. Ah, but the fun wasn't over, not by a long shot.

You see, for several weeks after that fateful night, Delroy was never seen without a stocking cap over his mostly bald head, and Mom's legs were so nicked and cut from the straight-edge razor she had to buy, she looked as if she'd been in a fight with an alley cat.

What is it they say about he who laughs last?

21 comments:

JunieRose2005 said...

Oh, My!

What an ingenious boy you were! :)

Junie

Courtney O. said...

LAUGH'S LOUDEST!!! LOL
You definitely did that year, huh :)

madameplushbottom said...

I am a total lame-oh when it comes to April Fool's day. Thank god it falls on a weekend this year. Hopefully I won't be skunked by anyone.

Oh wait.. I did do a good one. One year, when my SO worked at a strip mall, I moved their car while they were working so they would wander around all lost after work and I also took the batteries out of their garage door opener. You have no idea how long someone will sit in their car pressing the button before getting up to walk through the front door of the house!

Valerie said...

bad Doug. no dessert. go straight to your room & come up with more good ones for me!

best one i've ever done was about 6 yrs ago...two days before the 1st, i attached a small speaker to our fax machine & posted instructions that beginning 4/1, the fax would be equipped with voice recognition software; you would be able to say where you wanted the fax to go to, and it would respond.

it was next to impossible to stop hysterically laughing when we would see management lean forward and practically yell their fax destinations into a speaker that went nowhere.

Trudging said...

The last laugh is awesome

Sideways Chica said...

Such fun...reminds me of the time I rolled my mum up in the sofa bed.

Love your humor. Also, thanks for stopping by my place.

Ciao.
Teri

Rachel said...

My goodness. I could never have thought of all those things. We never did any pranks like that on April Fool's Day.

Glad you all were able to have fun with it! Hope Delroy grew back some hair!

Kelly said...

LOL~~ I'm so glad I found your blog!!~~ and just in time for April Fools' Day~~ thx for all the great ideas!;)

Anonymous said...

Doug great April Fools story!!! :)

btw... im a bicycle rider too & Rob goats me all the time about his entry -

talk about April Fools paybacks... *rubs hands together manically hehehe

Melanie J Watts said...

Wow April fools day around your house must have been like negotiating an area known to be chocoblok full of landmines.

Jamie Dawn said...

The hair remover one is just mean!! I'd DIE if my mousse was hair remover. Your poor, partly bald, brother.
Little pranks are fun. My son loves to play little jokes on us. I better be aware on April 1st. I will be sure to inspect my mousse can thoroughly before using it.

4evergapeach said...

I'm sorry, but the mousse thing was just plain cruel! My youngest likes to pull pranks on this day. I'll have to stay on my toes and check product labels!

cantellya said...

My sister used to work in the hospital lab. On AFD her friend walked over with a speciman of "clear like liquid" (I'll let you ponder that) and said "Lemme see your hand." Confused, my sister put her hand out & friend dumped contents in her hand. Of course, she freaked out until friend told her it was watered down lotion.....
My sister called me right after that. I hung up the phone, wrote out a script, and called friend's husband at home, telling him he was our Publisher's Clearinghouse sweeptakes winner, and what time would he be home so we could bring by his prize.....

cantellya said...

Actally, I did read your "Southern Lingo" post, & that's what reminded me of the ebonics list I had. My apologies for not making mention of that on my post! :)

Amy said...

Oh, you guys were really mean to each other! It was never a big deal in my house. I hope my kiddos are nice to each other :) Then again, it would be fun if they weren't!

eyes_only4him said...

oh..too funny..

you and i could cause trouble toghter..heehee.

thanks for stopping by, i hope to see you again;)

Suzy said...

Ouch! Glad I don't live in your house on April Fool's Day!!

me said...

Doug........LOL......thanks for the ideas. Buddy and Miss Fiesty won't know what hit them! If you hear screams from the north you know I was successful :)

Pirate said...

great story. I like your blog. you are a good story teller.

cantellya said...

Of yourse you can! I appreciate your asking, though :)

Hale McKay said...

Hey, that was funny stuff! You guys didn't mess around when it came to April Fool's pranking. The story was enhanced because it was well written.
...Thanks for the visit and comments at my place.