Sunday, February 26, 2006

Skunky and Elmer


Skunky Wilson, my childhood friend and cohort in mischief, lived with his family on a farm not may miles outside of our sleepy little town Boogerhollow (the "hollow" part of the name being pronounced holler). As far as farms go the Wilson's was by no means what you'd call a huge spread, but it produced a enough income to enable Skunky's dad to nicely supplement his teaching salary at the local community college. The farm was also where the Wilsons learned a valuable lesson in animal husbandry--never make a pet of a critter that's destined to end up on the end of your dinner fork.

It started in the spring of Skunky's eleventh year. Though the Wilson's little ranch mostly produced crops, Mr. Wilson had been contemplating trying his hand at raising a pig. So, no one was too surprised the day he brought home a piglet he'd bought from a neighboring farm.

Skunky and his younger sister and brother immediately fell in love with the little pig. By evening, much to Mr. Wilson's chagrin, they named the pig Elmer and began treating him like a household pet, much like city folk treat their dog or cat. Likewise, Elmer became very attached to the Wilson kids. He even thought of himself as one of them.

Before long, Elmer began following the kids everywhere they went. In fact, Elmer was so accustomed to following his human pals around he'd tag along behind them on their morning walk to catch the school bus. After the kids loaded the bus and it departed, Elmer trotted back home.

Now, the funny thing about that darn pig was his uncanny sense of timing. You see, he somehow knew when the school bus would return, and as his comrades stepped out of the bus there would be Elmer patiently waiting for them.

Some evenings, after homework and chores were done, the Wilson kids would get Elmer's favorite blue ball and play catch with him in the front yard. After a bit, Elmer would tire and he'd stretch out on the lawn, yawn, and take a short nap.

The months went by fast. Soon a snowy winter arrived. Often, Elmer and the children would wrestle or play chase in the snow. Sometimes they'd play follow the leader with Elmer in the lead, making furrows in the snow with his snout.

On bitter-cold days, Skunky's little sister would sneak the pig upstairs and play dress-up with him. One time, Skunky's mom heard a big commotion and raced upstairs to see what all the fuss was about. When she reached the top step there was Elmer, running in circles, trying to shake off Mrs. Wilson's new Sunday church dress that Skunky's sister had dressed him in.

"Git that pig out of my new dress!" Mrs. Wilson shouted. "Goodness gracious, I don't need to be replacing clothes I haven't even worn yet."

In about a year or so, Elmer had grown to a respectable size and Mr. Wilson decided he had put it off long enough. It was time to introduce Elmer to the butcher. So, early one Saturday morning Skunky's dad loaded Elmer in the back of his truck and headed to the butcher's place.

To say the least, that night and for many nights after, there was an atmosphere of quiet mourning in the Wilson home. Skunky and his siblings moped around the house, and some nights they even dreamt about their dear departed friend.

Now, it's said time heals all wounds. Skunky's mom must have believed in that because a few months after Elmer's demise, she invited Ruthy, her old spinster of an aunt, to a nice Sunday roast dinner.

After the family gathered around the table and said grace, everyone began dishing up their plates. As Aunt Ruthy stabbed a big ole piece of roast with a fork, she asked the one question that, as far as Mr. Wilson was concerned, she could have gone all night without asking, "Hey, I just realized I haven't seen Elmer around. What happened to him anyway?"

"Well, uh, yer a-eatin' him," Mr. Wilson stammered.

And that's all it took to set off a commotion. First, Skunky, his sister, and his brother started bawling in unison. At the same time, Aunt Ruthy let out a gasp and dropped her fork to her plate. She then joined the procession of bawlers.

Well, all of the sobbing must have gotten to Mrs. Wilson. Even though she never really thought of Elmer as a pet, she too began weeping over that silly little pig.

As you can imagine, it wasn't long until everyone had lost their appetite for pork, and Skunky's mom ended up giving the frozen remains of Elmer to people who weren't so well acquainted with the pig.

Later, Skunky informed me that he was thinking of becoming a vegetarian. I told him to seriously think it over. After all, changing religions is not a matter to be taken lightly.

12 comments:

me said...

Poor Elmer!!!
I feel Skunky's pain. On a visit to my favorite uncles farm when I was ten, I happened into the barn on slaughtering day.
I cried for hours and didn't go near the barn for the rest of my visit. I too seriously considered being a vegetarian. While I've never eaten pork since that visit, I haven't got the moral fortitude to turn down a well done steak!!!

OH YA, and YAY I'M FIRST TO COMMENT!!! Are you handing out gold medals for that???
Have a good week Doug!

Sonia said...

Oh my God! During the whole time I was reading the story, I felt so sad for the pig and the kids, but when I read the part where the aunt ask what happens to Elmer, I just started laughing out loud. I know I shouldn't, but the way you tell it is just too funny.

So glad I didn't grow up on a farm. I would have become a vegeterian for sure. LOL!

Doug Bagley said...

LOL, lis, I hear ya. The feeling of being first to comment on someone's post for is akin to being the first to dip into the peanut butter jar. Don't know why, it's just fun.

Sonia, you have a wicked sense of humor...I love it! LOL. Thanks y'all for your comments

Anonymous said...

I did grow up (kind of) on a farm, and I remember my dad killing the chickens for dinner. For a while, I wouldn't even eat eggs after I saw the chicks hatch and realized where they came from! And I knew that one day they would end up on the table!

Thanks for stopping by, Doug! You have a great sense of humor here. I'll be back for more.
:)

Valerie said...

Well writ. And welcome back - i've misses you!

4evergapeach said...

Hillarious story! We use to have a pig farm but we were only on the breeding end of it. Lots of cute little pigs.

Growing up my dad thought it would be economically feasible to buy a calf, raise it and have it slaughtered. But after we kids all named him and made a pet of him, well, you see where this is going. He just sold him and we never saw him again. Come to think of it though, we did have hamburger's quite a few times that year. Oh. My. Gosh.! Not Charlie!

Anonymous said...

This is BBQ heaven......... :)

I love me some Elmer..

Heartless or hungry you be the judge. :)lol

Anonymous said...

hahaha great story *oink ;)

Jamie Dawn said...

Oh, poor Elmer!
How very sad for the kids to have their pet served at the dinner table.
Like you said, certainly not worth changing religions over. Very funny ending!!!!
You are a wonderful story teller.

madameplushbottom said...

Squeal Squeal - just for Elmer's Sake. Poor guy!

I would have to be a strict vegetarian if I lived on a farm.

So glad to be back reading your stories - I've missed you and the writing.

=) Meg

Melanie J Watts said...

that is why I took great pains never to let any member of my family become attatched to any of the lambs on my sheep farm. When the kids were younger we lived on a quarter section and I raised sheep.

doodlebugmom said...

Reminds me of my daughter, she was 7 or 8. We were sitting down to a nice meal of fried chicken. She asked, "What ever happened to all those chickens we used to have running around?"

I didn't tell her. :o)