Monday, August 14, 2006

Inanimate Objects Have a Life of Their Own


If anyone tells you that inanimate objects are lifeless, don’t believe them. Experience has taught me that, in fact, the opposite is true.

Clothes hangers, for instance, are good examples of what I’m talking about. I’ve never seen a closet with just the right amount of hangers in it. There’s always a few extra. In fact, just shut two of those frisky little rascals in a dark, empty closet, then stand back and watch them multiply. In a month’s time they’ll be taking over the house; you’ll find yourself tripping over them everywhere. And there’s not a whole lot you can do to relieve yourself of the problem either.

Giving away your excess hangers isn’t really an answer. First off, most people, like your, are madly fighting their own personal battles in the war against clothes hanger overpopulation. More than likely, if you call someone on the phone to ask them if they would like some clothes hangers, as soon as you ask, you’ll hear a click and then nothing but silence on the phone.

Now, even if you do happen to pawn the little happy breeders off on someone, you still have to keep some clothes hanger around for personal use. There in lies another problem—all it takes are two those succors left alone in a dark closet and in a very short time, once again, you’ll be hearing click and then nothing but silence on your phone. It’s a vicious circle.

Another case-in-point are socks. When I was a youngster I could never figure out what happened to my socks after I’d put them in the wash. My socks would always come back missing their mates. Were they taken prisoner in some sock war that goes on in the washer or dryer after the lids on those contraptions were shut? I didn’t know.

Actually, I blamed my mamma. I thought it was some diabolical scheme she’d thought up as punishment for being the petulant child that I was. But when I got married, the problem still persisted. Perhaps my mom taught my ex-wife how to punish me for being the petulant husband that I was. Not so. I’ve learned different.

The truth to this most exasperating problem came to me when I took over the wash of our household. Because I was working out of the home at the time, I took charge of the wash. And you know, nothing changed when I took over. Socks were still turning up in the wash without their mates, and my kids thought it was some diabolical scheme on my part to punish them being the petulant children that they were.

Now, I’d put every stitch of dirty clothing into the washer and dryer, so I knew I was not responsible for the disappearing socks. Somewhere between the time that I put them in the washer and the time I took them out of the dryer, they disappeared. The only logical conclusion I could come up with is that one or both of those machines was feeding on socks. It’s the nature of those beasts. And since our dryer at the time was acting like it was choking on a sock, I suspected it was the culprit.

One last group of items I’d like to bring to your attention as evidence that inanimate objects do live is pens. These rascals not only live, they have a sense of humor and can read your mind.

It doesn’t matter what I’m doing (as long as it doesn’t require using a pen), I find them everywhere, always in my way. But the minute I even think of writing something down on paper all the pens in a twenty mile radius disappear. Where they run and hide is anybody’s guess. I can tear the house apart and the only thing I’ll come across that remotely resembles a pen is the carcass of one someone has dismantled.
I’ll place a pen by the phone to use for writing down messages. Five minutes later the phone rings. It’s a business call. I need to take down important notes. No pen. I’ll ask the person I’m talking with to hold on a minute while I look for a pen, but to no avail. They’ve all run off to where ever it is they go when they run away, and I end up using a crayola the size of an elephant’s leg to scribble down the important information.

Well, I could go on and on, but I won’t. I have an important task to accomplish today—I’m going to straighten some wire clothes hangers and use them to bind together all of my dirty socks in the clothes hamper. That’ll keep them from getting separated during the wash. While I’m at it, I think I’ll super glue a pen to my phone. Works for me.

9 comments:

cmk said...

My inanimate object that is alive is: brown paper grocery bags. I keep them in the pantry and I KNOW they breed in there! It is warm and dark and they have the proper amount of privacy, hence the breeding process. Shortly after grocery shopping day, I will ALWAYS have at least twice as many bags in the pantry as I brought home. Thank goodness for recycling. :)

Melanie J Watts said...

pencils are just as bad. I've taken truckloads of them, it seems, to the new house building site. I think the squirrels must cart them away.

Rachel said...

I don't know, sometimes I have to search for hangers. I do however have a dryer or washer that eats socks occasionally.

Pens are not too hard to keep up with, but since I'm the only one using them that is probably why! Plus I make sure I have plenty of them around. 9 times out of 10 the one I grab refuses to write!!

4evergapeach said...

My washer and dryer must be related to yours! I now have a plastic bin that I use for un-matched socks and week after week that things fills up. I haven't a clue what happens to these things! I've given up to trying to match socks. I do what I can then just leave the rest for the kids to grab what they can.

As for hangers, I have the opposite problem. There never seem to be enough. I know I'm not buying new clothes and using them. They just seem to disappear. Maybe they are running away to your house ;)

Anna said...

hahahahah great post .. thanks for the laugh. Do you remember the movie Mommy Darest were she goes off ... NO WIRE HANGERS! I too am always missing socks but always find extra shirts and undies and only one mate to a sock that nobody in the house wears. They are all childrens sizes ... I tell you the washer and dryer are magical!

JulesinParadise said...

My problem is electronic inanimate objects. I have found that if I name them and address them by their given names, they are much more user friendly....my one camera is Silver, the other is Flash, my big computer is Harry and the laptop, Minnie... get the idea. gotta run, Zorro, my cutting machine is calling me!

JunieRose2005 said...

Doug,

I have that problem with pens too! ...and another thing... Pens show up at my house with names of businesses-etc. that I have never heard of!! You'd think the least they could do - if they insist on barging into a home, that they would feel they should make themselves useful! But, NO!! They are never to be seen when you need them!

SOCKS, too, are a big problem around here!
My husband has threatened to send all the mateless ones to the 'New York Sock Exchange!'
The only other solution owuld be to wear only one kind of socks...and just put them all in a drawer-unpaired!

All those extra hangers are a pain too- but they DO come in handy if you have a plumbing problem!

Junie

Suzy said...

I always blame the "Borrowers". I read about them when I was about 8. They are tiny, they live under your house and use objects they find lying around for their own purpose. They use socks for sleeping bags?, pens for boat oars?, cotton reels for tables and chairs, pins for knitting needles.
Thanks for reminding me.
Have fun Doug.

SonSon said...

I can always tell when it's "that time of the month" for my hangers. I will have a million but then, all of a sudden, there are none and I have to go out and buy more. Low and behold, right after I do that, they start breeding again.

The problem with sock I believe, lies with my socks rather than the laundry machines. I think they have a misunderstanding or something. One thinks they should get in the washer. They other thinks they are supposed to wait for the next load. Yes, I believe it's a case of the the right sock not knowing what the left sock is doing.