Monday, April 14, 2008

Speak English! Oh, You Are

Some people say the English language is one of the hardest languages to learn. And you know what? They might just be right. But I’m not sure if it’s the structure and mechanics of the language as much as it’s the many different dialects that make it difficult, not only here in the United States but around the world.

Judge shows (you know, Judges Brown, Judy, Martinez, etc.) provide one with many examples of the different English dialects here in the States. I remember a case where the defendant was trying to convince the Judge that the complainant tricked him into agreeing to a deal he now was trying to get out of. He said, and I quote, “She nipolated me ya honor. She’s a nipolater.”

On another show a defendant thought she shouldn’t be held liable for wrecking a friend’s car because her, “insurance had collapsed.”

So does that mean if I should faint you could say I elapsed to the floor? Just curios.

I’ve also learned new words and ways of saying old words from these same shows. One woman, who supposedly had a Masters degree (in what I don’t know, perhaps Shoe Tying), kept telling the Judge over and over that part of the problem was the zellerator in her car wasn’t working properly. It took a while, but the Judge finally figured out the woman was talking about the accelerator of her car.

“I borrowed it to him” and, “So we’re irresponsible for paying back the money?” are just two more ways of phrasing and using words in a way I didn’t know existed.

The airlines, now they have their own style of grammar--Third Person Removed. They always say they’d like to thank you but they never do; “On behalf of the captain and crew we’d like to thank you for flying Wrongway Airlines. . .” or, “On behalf of Wrongway Airlines we’d like to welcome you to Peeonya, Alaska. . .”

I’ m just waiting for the day when they finally finished those sentences, “. . . but you’re all a bunch of morons so we’re not going to.”

People on TV news shows also speak a weird dialect of English, where they never complete a thought or even worse, they speak fragmented sentences. These are supposed learned people, skilled in the art of proper grammar, yet you will often hear them say things like, “A hit and run. . .” or “An unusual bank robbery,” just before they go to commercial break, leaving you hanging.

Mix into this whole dialect problem the English-speaking countries outside of the United States, with their own form and vernacular of the language, and one has to wonder how we communicate with each other at all.

While working at a theater in Branson, Missouri I once had a Canadian ask me where the bubbler was. I wasn’t sure if he was asking about a bidet, a Jacuzzi, or a boiling pot of water on a stove. Turns out he was talking about the water fountain.

And a while back I was helping an English gentleman who was looking for an NBA jersey of any team for a gift to a friend back home. I pointed out a Denver Nugget jersey and he was almost insulted. From where he hails, a nugget is a piece of fecal matter, talk about a quick ending to a long friendship.

Well, I could drone on and on concerning this subject, but I reckon I should cut off the TV, carry the kids to Grandma’s so she can keep them, whilst sweetie and I take in a picture show--that, my friends, is Southern English for, “I suppose I should turn off the TV, drive the kids to Grandma’s so she can babysit them, while sweetie and I go to a movie.”

8 comments:

cmk said...

Isn't America great? Here in the UP, you probably wouldn't understand a word anyone says--JUST like a foreign language. :) It IS fun translating for people, though.

Scarlet said...

This is why my Spanish parents only know how to say, "Fill it up" and "Thank you very much." English is SO confusing! :)

Em said...

lol ..get a laugh out of those shows at times but got the biggest smile when I read your comments on my blog..lol knew what you meant but am glad you clarified :)

kristi noser said...

I have so many non-english english words, but I'll give you my favorite:
irregardless
Yeah, like THAT'S a word.

I do enjoy (is that the word?) watching those court shows too Doug. Kinda ike a car accident-- you really don't want to see, but can't tear your eyes away. Especially sickening when parents sue children or sibs sue each other. Welcome to America.

Rachel said...

I am real good at messing up the English language! I usually try to speak correctly but sometimes I find myself slipping up and saying things like, "I'm plumb tuckered out!"

Thanks for your kind words on my blog.

Valerie said...

the scary thing is, i understood (and still do) the Southern English.

Jamie Dawn said...

Bubbler is a new one to me.

I LOVE southern talk!!!! I'm being immersed in it here in AR, and my favorite talkers are those from the deep south - SC & GA are my favorites!

SonSon said...

My husband (who is dyslexic) often recreates the meaning of words. The most frequent, and most vexing, is his interchangable use of liable and reliable.


"If he broke it, then he's the one reliable for it"

Someone else hits our car "Are we reliable?"

I love Jeff Foxworthy's language translations. Which of course right now I can think of none.

I also love "old" language. Words like melancholy, vexing, chamber, dulldrums, lively, decline.