Sunday, May 14, 2006

In the Words of Doctor Evil, “Zzzzzzzp It!”


What is it with men and zippers? We seem to have a history of problems with them, especially when it comes to our pants. Unfortunately, I speak from experience.

Years ago, I worked on the water department for a small city. One July afternoon I was walking main-street, reading the water meters. As I walked, I felt a slight breeze penetrate my jeans just below my belt buckle. “Hmm, that’s odd,” I thought. But I continued on my way.

Twenty minutes later, I received cat calls and whistles from a group of teenage girls as they drove by in their car. “Ahhhh, you devil you,” I said to myself, “you still got it.” I’m telling you, my ego grew so large it’s a wonder my neck didn’t break from the weight of it.

This incident repeated itself three or four times, and I was really getting full of myself when a car full of guys drove past me and did the very same thing. Still, undaunted, I walked on.

It wasn’t until I’d walked half the city that I happened to glance down and notice the fly to my pants was down, and a new dilemma arose. Just how does one nonchalantly zip up one’s fly while walking a street where the majority of traffic flows? It’s not easy.

A couple of years later, I’d reentered college. One warm July morning, as I traipsed across campus, I noticed people looking my way and smiling. I was worrying over an up-coming exam, and though I took mental note of the smiles given me, it never dawned on me those smiles had something to do with my attire.

That afternoon, I was still receiving curious looks and smiles from passersby when a thought occurred to me, “oh, oh,” I said softly as I glanced down at the fly of my pants. Sure enough it was down.

After graduating from college, I moved to Branson, Missouri where I, among other things, wrote a couple of entertainment columns. Early one summer evening, at Branson’s North Beach Park, I was walking to my truck when I spied Barbara Fairchild (For those of you who are old enough, do you remember the “Teddy Bear” song. That was one of her hits) at the tennis courts. “Hey Barbara,” I yelled. “How ya doing? Did ya read my review of your morning show?”

Well, after a little chit chat, I headed home. It was there I discovered that Ms. Fairchild had probably been smiling at me throughout our conversation not because of my charming personality. No, more likely it had something to do with the fact that, once again, my fly was gaping wide open, providing, I’m sure, amusement for all who noticed.

But the granddaddy of embarrassment happened at church a couple of years ago on Mother’s Day. I was asked in advanced to give a talk that Sunday on mothers, makes sense.

The service began with announcements from the pulpit, an opening hymn by the congregation, and a prayer. It was during the opening hymn, as I was sitting on the stand in front of the whole congregation, I noticed, to my horror, my fly was undone!

I broke out in a cold sweat as an unfortunately familiar dilemma reared its ugly head. Just how does one nonchalantly zip up one’s fly while sitting where the whole congregation of one’s church can see him?

I was saved by a prayer, literally. You see, it dawned on me that during the prayer the congregation would hopefully have its collective eyes closed, and that would be my chance to save face as it were. It either worked or people were just too nice to say anything for it was never mentioned to me by anyone, including the teenagers I taught in Sunday school.

Well, from these experiences, all I can conclude is with as much trouble we men have keeping our zippers closed, it’s certainly a good thing our brains aren’t zipped into our heads—they’d be constantly falling out. Although, sometimes I’m accused of acting as if have that problem.

16 comments:

me said...

YAAAAAYYY!!!! First again. Is it silly that I take great pleasure in that??? Don't answer!!!

Great post....and it brings to mind a moral dilemma of sorts.......when one sees someone with their zipper down, what is the proper zipper etiquette? To tell or not to tell, that is the question!

My usual modus operandi is to quietly and politely (its the canadian way.....lol) whisper to the person "check your zipper". However, the last time I did so the fellow bellowed "Oh so you've been checking out my "stuff". Hard to say who was more embarrassed after THAT little adventure!

Just Jan said...

LOL...good story. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a guys fly open and couldn't for the life of me tell him. There is no way I'd be caught "glancing" to even notice. To be honest I thought this story would go a different direction at one point. since you started off with "what is it with men and zippers?"....you see...once that I know of...my ex zipped himself in his zipper and I had to come to the rescue....as painful for him as it might have been...it was extremely humorous to me....it's too hard to get a weenie unstuck from a zipper when you're laughing so hard.

Thanks for the laughs. I look forward to more stories.

Kelly said...

*giggles* I'm still laughing at bbsgirl (Jan) saying weenie. lol
My policy is to just say nonchalantly "You need to fix your zipper"
Shoot I'll tell anyone~~ :) ~~ even when it's not down. Okay call me mischievious.
Seriously, I've never understood the awkwardness of it myself. It's a zipper~ zip it. :) Someone should do a study on it sometime~ to find out why it causes such stress. hmmmmmmmm~ naw~~ I'm too busy. ;)
Great post Doug!!
BTW~ check your fly.;)

Hale McKay said...

It happens - or are you a latent exhibitionist? Like "bb" I too thought this post was leading to a painful tale of snagging the dip stick.
...Good post - from one who has been there.
...A girl in my office, glancing down at me, once said to me, "The curtains are open, are you putting on a show?"
...I maintained my cool and zipped up like it was a normal thing in the office, and answered, "I suppose you'll be wanting an encore?"
...Just as cool, she said,"You bet, I have a good seat."

Melanie J Watts said...

Cute anecdote. I can think of other times some men can't keep their zippers closed, but that's a whole other story.:)

Trudging said...

My seven year old son has that problem

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

That was funny! :)

I CONSTANTLY try to freak out The Peanut King when it comes to his zipper. We'll be walking thru the grocery store and I'll look at him and grin and tell him his fly's down. For those two seconds of horror and then relief that crosses his face when he realizes I'm b.s.'ing him...well, that just priceless!

Rachel said...

As long as some of the fruit wasn't showing through the looms, then I guess the embarrassment wouldn't be quite so bad!!

Very funny post!

Amy said...

LOLOLOLOL - that it too funy, especially since I found my zipper down the other day!

JunieRose2005 said...

I would never have the nerve to tell a man his zipper is down!

...I HAVE on a few occasions had to alert my husband of this...and I TRY to do it in a quiet way, so as not to draw attention!...LOL- to my whisper he has been known to blurt out.."WHAT???" drawing all eyes toward us!

I've decided not to even TRY if there's a next time! :)

Oh,well!!

Junie Rose

Priyamvada_K said...

Nice and funny write up.

Still smiling at the congregation story :)

Priya.

JulesinParadise said...

Love all your writings...this one was a belly roarer. While I never lived in Banson, we use to visit there as my dd went to school in Springfield. What a hoot you are, sir!

cmk said...

Funny, funny. Keep up with the stories--I ALWAYS need a good laugh!

Anonymous said...

I've always been keenly aware that men have trouble keeping their zippers closed.

madameplushbottom said...

Yet one more reason to always put on clean underwear before you leave the house!

Valerie said...

ahh..another good reason to XYZ!

look at the bright side: at least you weren't "freebirding"!