Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Birds, the Bees, and the T.V. Make Three


One of the toughest jobs for parents is teaching children the "facts of life." For some, there seems to be a natural barrier between parents and children when it comes to this part of rearing kids, but I've found a solution to this problem.

Television.

That's right, television.

If you're a parent who finds it difficult to discuss this subject with your children but do not want them learning about the birds and the bees by reading the graffiti in public restrooms, then television might be the answer to your dilemma.

All you have to do is set your children in the T.V. room and make sure they are nice and comfy. Then turn on the television set. Believe me, an hour of watching television will teach your children more about the birds and the bees than you could ever teach them in your lifetime.
Commercials, alone, can give children a smorgasbord of information. Any subject from underclothing to hemorrhoids to constipation to personal-hygiene products--television commercials cover them all.

Heck, even the terminology that kids pick up by watching television commercials is astounding. When I was in grammar school, I had never heard of the term contraceptive. Thanks to the great educator, television, I found myself one day answering the question,"Dad, what's a contraceptive?" My youngest son, who was just 7 at the time, was the one posing the question.
My mouth went dry; my face suddenly became red hot; and beads of sweat flowed from every pore, soaking my clothes, as I contemplated this most delicate question. After considerable thought--which took about three or four seconds--I decided to answer my son's question in a mature manner but on a level that the boy could understand.

"A contraceptive, son, is a South American rebel who is not receptive to his country's policies and is involved in trying to overthrow the government. The word contra means against, and ceptive means receptive or to cooperate. Hence, contraceptive means to be not receptive or to be uncooperative."

Hey, it worked for me. Of course, I had some fast explaining to do when youngest son spewed forth this information to his first-grade class when the class began studying the countries of South America.

Now, for older children, talk shows are a great aid for furthering their education about the facts of life. You know the shows. They'll have on a gal who used to be a guy but who now is a gal again and is engaged to a man (or she sure hopes he's a man) who just flat doesn't care.

Or those shows will have on a guy who used to be a gal whose husband left her when he found out that she was about to switch teams. Furthermore, after this person's surgery, she moved in with her male transsexual surgeon who used to be a famale orthopedic nurse. Try straightening that out for 9- and 10-year-olds.

Anymore, I don't get unnerved when my kids ask embarrassing questions concerning the birds and the bees.

Now, I just toss them a TV Guide.

7 comments:

cmk said...

Too funny! Been there, done that, don't want to do it again. :)

Renae said...

Sound advice!! T.V. really pushes the limits now on the programming that is shown.Up here the censorship is different on Canadian channels than American. As in, there is none!!
Have a good one....

Jamie Dawn said...

You are so right! I get embarrassed by the number of erectile dysfunction commercials that are on these days. Luckily, we have a DVR, and I can skip over those things. Good grief!
Those really fun, trendy tampon and Kotex commercials are just plain annoying, but I'm sure they have spurred many a kid to ask many a question.
I always enjoy my visits here. I'm adding you to my blogroll, so I'll remember to stop by regularly.
Have a wonderful week, and be sure to set Maury, Jerry Springer, and Dr. Phil to tape.

JunieRose2005 said...

Doug,

If the TV fails to give out enough info just set your kiddies up with a MySpace web site!

A visit there even taught this 65 year old granny a few things!

(all kidding aside...I DO think kids learn too much too soon these days!)

Junie

Kelly said...

LOL I see you're still at it Doug! Sounds to me like I should watch more tv~~ appears I'm missing 'stuff' ;) Keep up the good work~~laughter cures all.
hugs

Rachel said...

You have the right idea. The TV these days is awful. Those stupid commercials are right up there at the top. I don't think they should be allowed to do all that, but then they don't ask for my opinion.

I like how you quickly thought of something for contraceptive, and it sounded pretty convincing!!

Suzy said...

Life was much more simple when no-one talked about such things in public. Imagining what it was all about was much more fun than the reality of it all don't you think?! :-)