Sunday, December 11, 2005

Front Porches

If you watch the news you can't help but be concerned over the troubles America faces today: increase in violent crime, the disintegration of the family, and the deterioration of moral values, just to name a few. Many politicians and concerned citizens groups have spent countless hours and resource trying to fix the woes of America and have failed. But I've come up with a simple solution.

After giving the matter some serious thought (yes, though it's hard to believe, I do have serious thoughts from time to time--usually while I'm in some delirium) I've stumbled upon the cure for what ails America. Porches.

That's right, porches. Now, I'm not talking about just any old porch and certainly not one of those dinky little backyard stoops. No, I'm talking about those grand front porches of yesteryear. Remember them?

The front porch had a huge wooden deck big enough to hold the whole family and a few guests. It was surrounded by a wooden railing and usually had a couple of steps leading down to the front yard. It had a roof that hovered overhead to keep the elements of the weather at bay, and sometimes it was even screened in to keep the bugs out. For sure, when we began building houses without those stately front porches we began building the foundation for society's ruin.

When there were front porches there was no need for a family to schedule a special night of the week just to be together. The porch had a mystical way of drawing family to it. On a warm summer evening you'd find Grandma in here rocker, Momma and Daddy in the glider, and a couple of kids on the front porch swing. The rest of the clan would be seated on a bench or stretched out on the floor while someone played a guitar or a harmonica and an old fashion sing-along was held.

Sometimes everyone, young and old alike, spontaneously gathered on the front porch just to talk. Parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, and neighbors would tell stories of the "old days." Sometimes those stories had moral anecdotes, sometimes they were just fun historical notes. Either way, the youngsters listened intently, focused on every word.

The front porch was a place where people really did listened to each other, where mammas, snapping green beans from the garden, sat with their children, giving an ear to each youngster as she helped them find solutions to the many trials of youth. It was a place where people relaxed and meditated,where the stresses and worries of life seemed to flutter away on the wings of a zephr.

Many a romance blossomed on the front porch. Two adolescents would sit in the swing, holding hands, talking of love, life, and the concerns of youth, while Momma and Daddy lingered inside the house, peaking through the screened window, making sure nothing improper was going on.

Many young men went home frustrated at the end of a date because the girl's parents left the porch light on to discourage him from kissing their daughter good night. And a daughter returning home tardy from a date could expect to be embarrassed by her father, waiting for her on the front porch, clad in his bathrobe.

Manners, too, were taught on that front porch of long ago. It's where children were taught to say "hi" to passersby, whether they new them or not, and the passersby answered back with a kind word or a smile and a wave.

Children learned to be patient and wait their turns for their portion of dessert when family and friends gathered on the front porch in the summer to make homemade ice cream. And kids learned to be good sports there too as they played board games, hide and seek, or jacks and the like. In short, it was the hub of the family, the neighborhood, and society itself.

Yes, the front porch once played a positive role in society, and if we are going to solve our country's ills we should get back to building and using those magnificent front porches of the past. Now, is there anyone out there who will let me borrow their front porch for a few hours? Some friends dropped by and we're just itching to make homemade ice cream and hold a group sing-along. Oh, and do you also have an ice cream maker and a guitar we could use?

8 comments:

Crystal said...

I was just blog surfing and this post is so funny because in my business class I had to do a project on a technology that changed America, and my group choose air-conditioning. For example w/ot it the West couldn't have been settled and women could have never left home to work since food preperation was an all-day ordeal without having refrigerators to preserve it etc.! Anyway, we also pointed out that houses were built with wraparound porches and people would hang out there on hot summer days and talk to their neighbors etc., but after air-conditioning was invented everybody just stays indoors and the sense of "community" ended. I guess we weren't the only ones to have that observation. ;-)

doodlebugmom said...

I totally agree Doug! Porches disappeared, and were replaced by huge garages in the front of a house (I hate look, when we were looking to build a new house a few years ago I did not want a garage door in front and all the plans were like that!). People can just drive up, open the garage door with the remote and never see their neighbors.

I am glad I grew up with a porch, and someday when I get a new house its going to huge front porch!

Linda :o)

Valerie said...

we didn't have a front porch, but we did have a back porch. screened in, door, etc. coolest thing ever was to get lemons off our very own tree, and make lemonade. fresh, cold for real lemonade.

the patio on my apartment doesn't quite have the same charm.

Anonymous said...

The frabic of society has been ruined by contractors, I knew it! I just knew it! There had to be an easy solution. But honestly, if I had to go back snapping beans and getting bit by mosquitoes, I think I'll take my chances with the present. I bet screened in porches can prevent bird flu somehow. I see a slow long death with my deck. :(

I'm thinking this was all back when kids listened and felt that disappointing someone was punishment enough. Back when you could stay out until the street lights came on and catch frogs in a paper sack and shake it up. Oh wait, was that just me?

JulesinParadise said...

I love my front porch. We had the entire roof line of our present home changed so I could have my screened in porch. My drink of choice is a nice merlot in the evening or a gin and tonic in the summer when we watch the neighborhood of an evening. We are in the process of building a new home in Land 'O Lakes and I will have another front porch. I think we'll see a return to this as there is such a resurgence of "small town" concept. Thanks for a lovely reflection.

Doug Bagley said...

Front porches are making a come back. In fact, the term "porching" has been coined to describe the resurgence of the building and usage of the front porch.
Debbie's right, I believe the use of front porches was back when children honored their parents (remember when it was demanded that you say "yes sir" and "yes ma'am?" when speaking with your elders?)and when street lights were the guide for when it was time go come home.
Thanks guys for all of y'all's comments.

Greta Björg said...

Read this just now on January 2, 2006.
Doug, I´ve always dreamt of having a house with a big porch, even though they never were a common thing in Iceland and I´ve mostly only seen them on American films! :o)

Greta Björg said...

I just found out that if you google "porch" on Google images you´ll get photos of the most beautiful porches.

The only time I had a porch was in my house in Moshi, Tanzania, for a year or so. It was tiny and not really a proper porch, but then again it had the most wonderful view on Mt.Kilmanjaro, in every shade of sunshine, depending on the hour of the day, which was magnificient (and to the nearby police-schools big maize-field as well,which was not quite as glorious!)