Sunday, May 04, 2008

Why Just One Day a Year?

What’s up with this one day of the year celebration for mothers? Shouldn’t we celebrate our mothers every day of the year, if for no other reason than they gave birth to us? Listen, I was there for all three births of my sons. It’s not called labor for nothing—I often wonder if women really new ahead of time the pain and strain to their body that child birth is if they’d go ahead and get pregnant anyway.

What's amazing to me is that many women, after going through the stress, inconvenience, and pain of pregnancy and childbirth, choose to have more babies. After the first child, most men would rush right out to the nearest clinic and get themselves snipped. “Ain’t no way this is going to happen again!” most of us guys would whine.

My own mother came as near to death as one can get during childbirth when I was born (I was a trouble maker right from the get go—I was also just an ounce under 10 lbs, which I’m sure didn’t make mom feel any better). I was a placenta previa and my mom almost hemorrhaged to death bringing me into this world. Both of her doctors told her it was a power beyond theirs that saved us both.

If that isn’t enough of a reason to pay tribute to my mother every day of the year, she also, along with dad of course, raised 4 very rowdy, rebellious, stubborn boys. Believe me, as I think back on some of the things my brothers and I did, some of the pranks, mischief, and trouble we got into, my mom deserves a medal, maybe even a statue.

I know there must be many other good mothers out there who also deserve accolades for the sacrifices, prayers, and worrying they did over their children, trying to instill in them and guide them down the paths of virtue, morality, honor, etc., as their they grew to adulthood.

Some mothers have to do this alone, without help from their children’s father. Either through divorce, abandonment, whatever, they’re left trying to not only raise their children to be good and decent, but they’re left doing it while they also struggle to put food on the table, clothes on their children’s backs, and shelter over their heads, sometimes working two jobs to accomplish this. They ask for no handouts, no acknowledgement, or rewards from society. For them their reward is watching the fruits of their labor come to fruition--their children grow up to be good and decent human beings.

Because of the economic downturn, many mothers who are now grandmothers and great grandmothers continue to give and sacrifice for their children. They keep their grandkids and great grandkids for free while the children’s mother and/or father work, helping them save a little money by not having to pay for daycare.

Many mothers don’t even like the holiday that’s set aside for them. In their words, “Why should I get acknowledgement for something I’m supposed to do?”

Other’s feel like, “Hey, if you can’t appreciate the things I do for you every day of the year don’t insult me with a once a year celebration.”

Yet for others, the Mothers’ Day holiday makes them feel incompetent, inferior, and failures as they sit in church and hear talks from people speaking of their perfect, super moms, who did everything right in raising them.

So why do we only celebrate mothers just once a year? It seems to me that most of us should celebrate them, honor them, and show our appreciation for all they have and do for us every day of the year. And the best way we can do this is to be the adults they hoped and prayed we’d turn out to be.

So to all the mothers in the world, I salute you.

And mom, I love you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Then again, there are some women that are mothers that shouldn't even be associated with the term!

You did a nice job honoring those that do deserve the title!

Here here!

Jacquie

SonSon said...

A very nice tribute, doug. I'm a learning-on-the-job mom of 2. Not the best and not the worst. I bake cookies but I buy the dough. Whenever I see a supermom I let the air out of her tires so her cookies will burn.

JunieRose2005 said...

Doug,

Thank you for the wonderful tribute to mothers!

Your mother must be very pleased and proud to have you for a son! :)


Junie

Bar L. said...

Thank you! This is a beautiful tribute to all mothers. I have been so focused on my son's high school prom that I forgot tomorrow is mother's day! I raised my son from day one all by myself. I like Mother's Day, its Father's Day that's hard to cope with.

Your mom raised a good person :)

Anonymous said...

As always, you have written another great post. Really well done. It has been a bit since I talked with you, I hope things are still going wonderful. I got taken to Iron Man tonight for my mother's day outing with my little man. LOL But it was wonderful. You take care!
Caroline

Zanna said...

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the kind message. This is a lovely tribute to mums everywhere but particularly to your own mum who obviously raised a very kind caring human being.
Take care, Love Z xx

Em said...

Thankyou .. I so enjoy reading your posts and this one is no exception....made me smile ..being a mum isnt easy there is no handbook out there and you never stop learning... there a days of smiles and days of tears and you love your children unconditionally ..... to quote my daugters card to me yesterday read to the worlds greatest mum from the worlds greatest kid lol
you are a lovely man Doug ..have a fantastic week