Sunday, November 27, 2005

Cut the Cliches Already!

Ah, we are well into one of my favorite times of the year. No, not the holiday season, FOOTBALL SEASON! Now, there are three subjects I rarely write about: sports, politics, and sex. It's not because I don't like those three subjects (heck, I've played and coached sports, I vote, and the third subject, well, that's none of your business). Still, I don't write much about them because I sometimes confuse the three--now that I think on it, that confusion could be part of the reason I am divorced, but we're getting off track here.

Yes, I love football as much as the next guy, and I feel a bit of a let down at season's end. But there is a bright spot when that time rolls around; I no longer have to listen to the insipid football cliches uttered by sports commentators. I mean, come on, by the end of the season I'm ready to puncture every football in the sporting goods section of every Wal-Mart in town! Obviously, these goonbaw announcers haven't figured out how weary their tired, old football vernacular has become over the years.

So, what follows are a few examples of some of the more hideously, redundant cliches that we are stuck listening to, that is unless you like watching football in closed captioning.

* "Now there's a player!" You think? Could be that's why the dude being referred to as a player is wearing a uniform, is on the field playing, and has a house full of trophies that represent all of his great achievements in the sport.

* Then there's the cliche used to describe a kicker who can kick the ball a fair distance, "He's got plenty of leg!" Does this mean the kicker has just one leg but it's size is huge? Or maybe it means one of his legs is bigger than the other. Perhaps the commentator is referring to his son who grabbed a piece of chicken at dinner the night before.

* "Now there's a player with the whole package." You know, I've yet to find said player who has entered the field with a package, whole or otherwise. Since we're discussing the whole package, a whole package of what? And is that as opposed to a half of a package? And what's in the package that's so important the player feels the need to bring it with him onto the football field?Inquiring minds want to know.

* "And from there he'll try to punch it in." This sounds more like a new sport which combines boxing and football. Would that new game be called foxing or bootball? Of course the commentator could be referring to one of the grounds crew as he inserted his time card into the "clock" before leaving.

* When speaking of a team's ability to stop the run we often here the announcers say, "yeah, they'll sure flatten your tires." This sounds more like the description of a gang of juvenile delinquents than it does a football game.

* "I'll tell yuh what (the favorite four words of all sports commentators are I'll tell yuh what), that kid's got heart!" Now, I'm now Einstein, and I know everyone reading this is thinking, "Naw," but I'd venture to say that if the kid didn't have heart he wouldn't be on the football field. No, he'd be lying in a cemetery somewhere.

Yes, if one wishes to watch football on T.V., there's no way to avoid the cliches often used by sportscasters. All one can do is grit one's teeth and hope they take a speech class or two in the near future.

As for me, I'm going to watch Monday Night Football. The Indianapolis Colts are playing the Pittsburgh Steelers. I'll tell yuh what, those are two teams that have heart and can flatten your tires.

12 comments:

doodlebugmom said...

Nope Doug, It wasn't me that asked about Fred...

But thanks for visiting my blog, you are welcome anytime.

I am married to a CheeseHead. Its really hard to be a Packer Fan this year!

And I have always been annoyed by the announcers. Many of the say "WES-con-sin" I hate that!

Hope you had a good turkey day!
Linda :o)

Ivy the Goober said...

I think you're on to something... they HAVE run out of different ways to say the same thing. So why don't you get some people to send you some ideas. You could collect them and provide the commentators with a list of phrases to choose from. Once they say one, they can't use it again until next season. Here's mine: How about "He just got squashed like a bug on a windshield!"

Leighanne said...

..lol...aussie rules is just the same!!

Pandora Wilde said...

I totally agree with you. I'm already cringing wondering what's going to get said about Steve Mariucci's departure from the Lions.

Doodlebugmom--You said a mouthful! It's REALLY hard to be a Packer fan this year.

Melanie J Watts said...

Hi Doug,

I'll be skiing when your watching football. I'm hoping for a real Canadian, cold, snowey winter this year. Global warming sucks. anyhow enjoy the football games and think of me outside skiing :)

Suzy said...

Now you come to mention it Australian Rules football is a game where fans are "glued to their seats" until they watch the "big men fly" and they "go wild" when a goal is kicked "into the middle of next week".

Jamie Dawn said...

You make some funny observations. I'm not a pro sport fan. I don't keep up with any teams. I do think the term Tight End is really funny, though, because all football players wear those really tight pants, so they all look like tight ends to me.

me said...

My submissions for new commentary-
"His moves are faster than the Roadrunner's escape from the clutches of Wylie Coyote."
or
"He is going faster than the blue light special at Kmart on Seniors day."
or
"that pass is as smoooooooooth as Chocolate Mousse."
or if things are getting difficult "that play was as tough as the steak I had for dinner last night."
or if a kickoff goes awry...
"Who kicked that? Mr. Ed?" oops maybe Mr Ed wasn't the kicking horse, that might have been a Disney movie :)

Paul Nichols said...

My all-time insipid gag: "That was a huge block!"

Or if you prefer, "That was a huge tackle!"

Or, "That was a huge penalty!"

The classic: "They had a huge first half; now they need a huge second half if they want to stay in the game.! (I heard it. I promise you I heard it.)

Valerie said...

my favorite? "That's a HUGE beer!"
hooray beer - goes well with football, dontcha think?!

Anonymous said...

I truly miss Dennis Miller's coverage of Monday Night Football. He made me laugh and thoroughly enjoy the game even when I didn't care the outcome of it. Bring back Dennis! The King of Cliche's, but really really funny ones! :)

madameplushbottom said...

Hmmmm I have watched many a football games and seemed to have missed these cliches... perhaps it is because I was thinking about sex or knitting or cooking or otherwise occupied. (grin) had to throw the sex comment in there since that's how you started out your posting.

And speaking of cheeseheads... can I mention that the dorky vikings beat them twice this year? yes that's right... twice. Did I mention I am from MN... I gave away my vikings starter jacket many many years ago I just found I could never wear it... always embarassed.

Oh well... another good posting Doug!